Charcoal brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddave

Senior Cook
My wife does not like kingsford some one told me about Stubbs just cost to much. How about Royal oak? Price is a lot better here. Or is there somthing better with lower cost? Thanks Dave

muddave said:
My wife does not like kingsford some one told me about Stubbs just cost to much. How about Royal oak? Price is a lot better here. Or is there somthing better with lower cost? Thanks Dave

Stubbs is on sale for half price at a lot of Lowe's stores, including the one in Madisonville, KY. At least, it shows on-line as being $4.25 per 15-lb. bag. All the Lowe's here in NC still have it at $8.49 a bag. Go get some!

Well depends on whether you are speaking lump or briquettes. Since you looking for something cheaper than Kingsford would have to jump to the irrational conclusion we is speaking of briquettes. If so I would not take any Royal Oak Briquettes even if they was free. Now their lump aint too bad last I checked which has been a while back. Know one fella who swears by the El Cheapo Wally World brand briquettes. Try those sometime. They are 66% bigger or something.

I've become a loyal Stubbs user for the last year. I find that it actually takes a lot less charcoal than Kingsford, and lasts a lot longer. I'm in Henderson, Ky. and I scored 5 bags at Lowes in Madisonville last week. Try it, you won't be dissappointed!

I use the wally world charcoal at the price difference I can load up the firebox twice to once with kingsford or royal oak. I burn about 75 percent or better hardwood so the charcoal is basically just a firebox heat to keep my wood consumption down. To each his own but for me the cheaper is better.

Thanks for all the help. I think i will go to Lowes and try to get the Stubbs at the 4.25 price, and i think i will also try a bag of Royal Oak two. And just see what i think. I will let ya"ll know as i try it Thanks again Dave

Right now i am using a Brinkmann smoker with the charcoal pan on the top, I am going to get a 22.5 Weber Kettle next month. Thanks Dave

I got the Stubbs at Lowes for 4.25. I cooked some Chicken breast to night and my wife loved it, me two. When i run out i am still going to try the Royal Oak.

muddave said:
I got the Stubbs at Lowes for 4.25. I cooked some Chicken breast to night and my wife loved it, me two. When i run out i am still going to try the Royal Oak.

I figure instead of editing my post I'd just post a new one. I didn't specify what kind of RO I use. I use the lump kind. It's great!

I haven't used kingsford bricketts for a long time until just the other night doing some chuck eye steaks, I've been use'n RO lump. Big difference, imho. The lump is much better than kingsford. I don't care for the "fireworks", but the smell and taste is better. I was surprised in the difference. But, just my opinion and opinions are like buttholes.......everyone elses' stinks but mine. ;) :D

The only drawback with RO...is you find junk in the bag. I've found rotting wood, chunks of brick and concrete, and insulation. Check it before you start cooking with it.
But I still buy it over briquettes.

Forget B and B. Sooted up my grandprize winning chicken real bad one time. The mesquite version also pops like Orval Reddenbackers popping corn. Cant believe Texas folks could make such crappy charcoal. Hmmm wonder if they might be transplanted from E. Texas? Them folks cook on pine wood in E. Texas. They could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer etc. They are also grit eaters..gag heave sputter.

bigwheel said:
They are also grit eaters..gag heave sputter.
If you don't like grits it's because you've never had good grits or grits cooked correctly. Try these sometime:
2LbStoneGroundGRITS%20FINALweblg.jpg

As for chacoal-I like Wicked Good the best but only have about ten bags left. I had it shipped in from the company and the shipping price was good on a large order. Stubbs is even or runs a close second so I'll be stocking up on that when the Wicked runs out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom