Charcoal and Cooking Temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

win2000b

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I was hoping someone here is able to help with my charcoal question.

I previously used to use Gas but have recently bought myself a Weber 57cm One Touch Kettle BBQ. I am loving the charcoal but I am a bit confused about how to cook for long periods of time.

I initially follow the instructions and load 40 weber briquettes into the chimney starter. Once ash is at the top I then pour them into the bbq.

I normally arrange them in a 50/50 pattern so coal on left side of bbq for direct and right for indirect.

I'm cooking the following :-

Chicken on the bone (indirect) - 40Mins
Burgers (Direct) - 12 mins
Sausages (indirect)- 12 mins

From what I have read the weber briquettes should stay hot for 4 hours but after the 1st batch of food above the temperature starts to drop. If I wanted to do more food, Im guessing I need to put my bricks on. Is this correct? When should then go on? and if so how many?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Right..it takes some trial an error. If heat drops add some more briquettes. One biggy is keeping the dead ashes shook off or it can smother the fire and knock heat production in the head. Lump charcoal is not near as bad about making ash.

I use about a full chimney of charcoal and bank it to one side. I use this method with everything I cook. I usually don't sear skin on chicken anymore, I just put it on indirect, same with sausages. Burgers I will sear but will finish them indirect. If your not using thermometers get some, it takes the guessing out of everything. I have a thermometer I stick in one of the vent holes so I have an idea what my kettle temp is and another thermometer I use to check the meat. Bone in chicken takes me about an hour to 1.5 hours to cook, sausages around 20minutes, and burgers around 15 minutes I'm guessing, never really timed them.

I use about a full chimney of charcoal and bank it to one side. I use this method with everything I cook. I usually don't sear skin on chicken anymore, I just put it on indirect, same with sausages. Burgers I will sear but will finish them indirect. If your not using thermometers get some, it takes the guessing out of everything. I have a thermometer I stick in one of the vent holes so I have an idea what my kettle temp is and another thermometer I use to check the meat. Bone in chicken takes me about an hour to 1.5 hours to cook, sausages around 20minutes, and burgers around 15 minutes I'm guessing, never really timed them.
Listen to Vermin. He probably has more experience cooking on charcoal grills than all the rest of us put together. If his pictures could speak, they'd also tell you he's very successful. Me? I use a smoker lots more than I grill, so I'd be guessing talking about most grills.

Dittos on listening to Vermin. He is going to be on TV one of these days. Now I aint sticking no steenken gauges into any vent holes. I use the Mississippi method. Lay the palm of your hand on the lid. If you get a sudden desire to move your hand before you can say...One Mississippi its time to grill steaks or chicken. If you can do Two Mississippis..its time for butts..Three Mississippis is good for ribs. Four Mississippis is good for briskets. Five Mississippis is Jerky time. Simple huh? And do not require batteries..lol. Yall break me up.

Triple that on V's post. Only other thing I have to say on the subject of charcoal is that Blue Bag was on sale for $9.88 at Home Depot..... Got me 15 Double packs of 20lbs.

That's right 600 pounds of charcoal!

Triple that on V's post. Only other thing I have to say on the subject of charcoal is that Blue Bag was on sale for $9.88 at Home Depot..... Got me 15 Double packs of 20lbs.

That's right 600 pounds of charcoal!

I bought 12 doubles!!!:rock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom