Cancer Sucks! BBQ class - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
BBQ Central College

Cancer Sucks! BBQ class

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the comp. section, but I thought it could be of interest to all BBQ cookers.

I have been pestering Scottie from Cancer Sucks! to consider holding a competition class for some time. My thought is that holding a class could really help raise funds for the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation.

What do you all think? Scottie has indicated that he will enlist a former winner of the TOY to help him with the class - so a Jack Daniel's World Champion, and a winner of the TOY would be the instructors.

Looks like the class will be in the Chicagoland area.

$500 would get you two things:

1. A FULL BLOWN competition class with nothing held back taught by TWO champion cooks
2. You would be making a $500 donation to the Foundation - though since you are receiving a service I doubt it would be tax-deductible, but who cares! (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com/)
3. Dinner may be provided by a local BBQ place and the Lions club can help with discounts on hotels

I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

Most importantly, will you come?

Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Cancer Sucks! BBQ class

Well sure the rich yups in the audience jump on that deal like a dawg on a bone. Now unfortunatly I can't make it. Prez Osama has not got around to stimulating me yet. Sorry. Hope yall have a great turn out. Very worthy cause no doubt. My little bride is now an 11 year "Survivor" and that big C was some nasty old bizness. Praying it do not come to call again. Make a movie of the class and sell me a movie for twenty bucks. I could handle something like unto that maybe. Depending on how the Warden looks upon the transaction. She will prob think we are smarter than the folks in the movie At any rate you can pry a 20 out of her any old day for anything to do with battling Cancer.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #3

What BW said........well most of what BW said.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

What bigwheel said ............. ALL of what he said!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
BBQ Central College

Bigwheel said: "At any rate you can pry a 20 out of her any old day for anything to do with battling Cancer."

Nick and Puff, I am glad that you are both in agreement with BW. I'm sure Scottie's foundation will put your $20 each to good use. You can donate at www.cancersuckschicago.com

Again, thanks to each of you!
Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #6

Good cause, lost a 38 year old wife to the Big C 18 years ago. $500 is probably out of my league as a noob and getting to Chicago in February may be a trick. I've got a lot to learn on my own before spending that kind of money. I do like the video idea, I watch anything BBQ I can get my eyes on.
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #7

Actually think peddling the movie to a large group of po folks could raise mo dinero than trying to lure a few fat cats to Chicagoland. I will do the math on it and repoat back.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
BBQ Central College

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Actually think peddling the movie to a large group of po folks could raise mo dinero than trying to lure a few fat cats to Chicagoland. I will do the math on it and repoat back.

bigwheel
You know, until I received your feedback from my post I never really felt like a fat cat, or yuppie for that matter. I am a parish pastor living in a small rural town in Iowa (about 300 people). I'm looking out my window at my neighbors who live in trailers and just beyond that are fields of corn and beans. I always kinda thought I was living a modest life - but I guess I'm wrong. However, because I live well beneath my means I am able to set aside some money to help fund cancer research, and a place for families to stay when their loved ones are being treated for cancer. Maybe Im' just a rich yuppie (by Texas standards, maybe) but to me I think of that as part of my tithe. You have given me a lot to think about!
Brinkmann Pitmaster

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Web Celeb

Monty...pay no attention to BW...keep movin'
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #10

I guess I shouldn't have jumped on the "down with high priced events" bandwagon so quickly.
Monty, I spoke with Scotty last year on another forum and he sent me some of his bumper stickers. I thought my wife would get a kick out of them. (She's battled the deadly C 3 times and won!) I tagged a few of the boys cookers up here with the stickers too. Alot of us are hurting badly due to the economy and maybe something like this just struck the wrong people at the wrong time.
It's a great cause and I hope it's successful!
If I had the extra funds I'd be in for sure!
Good luck!!!