Canadian Bacon Pics Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
The Canadian Bacon finished too late last night for me to cool it and then slice it...so here's some pics from the cook and the finished product.

That's 4 pieces of the loins I cut into thirds on the WSM at the beginning of the cook. I held the WSM at 130-135º for the first 4 hours; then increased temps to 150º and applied the smoke, a combo of hickory and cherry, for the next 3 hours, then raised the temps to 160-170º until the internal temps of the loins was 142º.

Shortly after laying the smoke to them, getting some good color.

Finished product, after cooling in the fridge overnight.

More of the same.

That's 7 vac/pac bags of Canadian Bacon (1 1/4lbea) and 2 bags of PeaMeal Bacon and some mutant stuff in the upper right I'll use for other purposes.

This was a long cook, almost 14 hours from start to finish, it is an exercise in patience holding the WSM at those lower temps and adding coals about every hour or so (kind of like owning a KLOSE) but it was worth the effort considering the cost of CB at the store.

The taste and flavor was excellent, if you're tempted to try this, I suggest using Wittdogs version it makes awesome product.

Bruce B said:
The Canadian Bacon finished too late last night for me to cool it and then slice it...so here's some pics from the cook and the finished product.

That's 4 (1/3 loins) on the WSM at the beginning of the cook. I held the WSM at 130-135º for the first 4 hours; then increased temps to 150º and applied the smoke, a combo of hickory and cherry, for the next 3 hours, then raised the temps to 160-170º until the internal temps of the loins was 142º.

Shortly after laying the smoke to them, getting some good color.

Finished product, after cooling in the fridge overnight.

More of the same.

That's 7 vac/pac bags of Canadian Bacon (1 1/4lbea) and 2 bags of PeaMeal Bacon and some mutant stuff in the upper right I'll use for other purposes.

This was a long cook, almost 14 hours from start to finish, it is an exercise in patience holding the WSM at those lower temps and adding coals about every hour or so (kind of like owning a KLOSE) but it was worth the effort considering the cost of CB at the store.

The taste and flavor was excellent, if you're tempted to try this, I suggest using Wittdogs version it makes awesome product.

I know Wittdog will call me names for this, but I have to get a knife like yours, Mine will only cut a loin in 3 pieces of 1/3 each. Must be a cheap one.

For the mathematically and reading comprehension challenged, I edited the above post, hope it's a little easier to understand.

Bruce,
Did you cure 'em first? I love that Canadian Bacon!

PS: Costco has Canadian Bacon (actually from Canada) pretty cheap.

Hey Bruce, my address is the same as when you sent me the shirt. Just put some of that in a box with some dry ice and put a few stamps on it. LOOKS FANTASTIC dude.

I thought the only way you could get CB was to order it on pizza. Now I learned something.
(Ham made out of loin is called Canadian Bacon) for the slower folk. Got it.

Looks great.

Back
Top Bottom