Can I get some advice on pork shoulder? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Can I get some advice on pork shoulder?

I just impulse bought a "pork shoulder roast - bone in" and in looking around here I am more confused on how to bbq it now then I was when I was paying for it! LOL

I do not believe it is a whole "butt" rather perhaps one that has been cut in half? It only weighs in at 4.6lbs, is 8" long, 5" across and 3" thick and the top and bottom are both fat free while one side has a thick layer of fat on it. I will try to include a picture.

I saw a lot of people inject or otherwise brine their "butts" so I went ahead and put the whole thing in a gallon ziploc and poured in 1 cup of apple juice, sealed it and put it in the fridge with the intent of letting it marinade for at least 12 hours, it is about 5PM as I write this. Then I was planning on rubbing it down with my pork baby back rub and cooking it on my indirect med grill, uncovered, til it hit 190, then removing it and foil it to rest for an hour...

Questions...
1, What the hell did I buy? LOL Is this a Boston butt in your opinion cut in half or?
2. How long will this piece of meat take to cook at what temp you recommend, 8 hours at 250?
3. Does it have to be pulled pork? I was kinda looking forward to slicing it but can pull it if that's what should be done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pork shoulder roast.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4411  

Brinkmann SS Pro Series 2500 5 burner and an appetite
Canyon Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
BBQ NOOB

I hope this view helps, on the top now is the fat layer and the left side you can see the little bone...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pork shoulder 2b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4412  

Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Cooker

There isn't any reason you can't slice it, chop it, or pull it! BBQ what you like. I have never brined but I have injected. Butts are so forgiving you can do just about anything! I agree it's on the smaller side. Next time check a club store you may get a better price per pound. Here in SW missouri some folks have the but cut to steaks and then grilled up. So if fire is involved you can't go wrong! Send us pics after the cook. FYI most brines use salt and sugar. Check out amazing ribs.com for some ideas

SmokeMIfYouGotM BBQ
MUShand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Cooker

As for time check the temp after 3 hours. Pulling temp will be about 190 so lower temp more tinsel for slicing.

SmokeMIfYouGotM BBQ
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Runner View Post
Questions...
1, What the hell did I buy? LOL Is this a Boston butt in your opinion cut in half or?
From your description it sounds like you got HALF of a Boston Butt. A whole Butt would normally weigh somewhere between 7 and 9 lbs. The one you have probably had a couple steaks sawed off and then packaged as a "pork shoulder roast". Also, if you were looking at a whole one, the side with the fat layer on it would be considered the Top.

Oh yeah... You should look for a better price. Around here whole Butts are $1.29 lb everyday until the end of August.
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=375622
Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
BBQ NOOB

Thank you both for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.

Today has been a learning experience. I soaked some alder ships for half an hour, wrapped in foil (3 single layers) poked some small holes in it and set it on the reflector above my burner to heat up, got a little smoke started but not much so I poaked larger holes in it and they were on fire 5 minutes later, so much for that...

The reason they caught on fire MAY be that while my hood thermometer says 275 degrees, the old dial therm that tells meat temp and oven temp said 325! Now I have a good idea why my ribs are always done in an hour, lol. I know a dial therm is not necessarily accurate, but with the evidence I think I am cooking way too hot and have ordered a Maverick ET732. I promptly turned off the 2nd burner and now the hood therm says 200 and the meat probe says 230 so I think I am on target again.

Anyway, the roast has been on for 3:21 as I type and I'm going to go check the meat therm and see what it reads. Here is a pic of my rubbed down little buddy before he went on the grill...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rubbed and ready jpeg.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	4413  

Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
BBQ NOOB

BBQ 225, roast at 140...hmmmm, was hoping to be eating soon, how much longer do you think?

It does look good though!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	225 and 140 jpeg.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	4414   Click image for larger version

Name:	yummy jpeg.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	4415  

Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Cooker

It's at 140 you are in the stall. I would recommend that you wrap it tight in double Aluminum foil. You then"power" through the stall.

SmokeMIfYouGotM BBQ
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUShand View Post
It's at 140 you are in the stall. I would recommend that you wrap it tight in double Aluminum foil. You then"power" through the stall.
Wrap it and leave it on the grill at the same temp? nothing changes but wrapping it? Sorry, want to be sure I understand...

Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Cooker

That's it wrap it and put it back on same temp

SmokeMIfYouGotM BBQ