Can Anyone Recommend A Good Quality Affordable Meat Slicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kloset, Cap'n and Susan

Ahhhh, about the polar bear flare up, I gotta take the Fifth. There's that whole Federal Marine Mammal Act thing.

I can't remember the butt and brisket prices here since I haven't done any long smokes since last fall, but I get em at Costco and the prices aren't much different than I've seen on the boards. As you might guess we have no regional Q. The closest I can come is moose and bear over a camp fire but that was a sear and not real BBQ. And the bear is kinda hard to remember. We were camped on the banks of the Yukon River watching the Northern lights and drinking a LOT of whiskey.

Griff

Captain Morgan said:
I got lucky and bought a 60 dollar refurbed Waring Pro....I only use it about 10 times a year, but it is REALLY handy when you need it.

I sliced last weeks pastrami with it, it was great. They normally cost around 100 bucks I think, and I have to reccomend it for home use.
Never had a problem with it.

Bob T said:
I have the Waring pro also, no complaints as of yet, other than it's a P.I.T.A to clean meat slicers. Just used it Thursday to slice up a beef tip roast.
I'm looking at the FS150 right now and with a couple of Promo Codes I have, I can get this one for..well, FREE! :-D Is this the model you guys have and also, did anyone look at Chef's Choice before deciding on Waring Pro?

Yeah that's the right model....I didn't consider anything else cause I wasn't planning on buying one....I was just walking around the grand opening of one of those stores that sold overstocked and refurbed item, and there it was.

I just bought it and took it home without knowing anything about it.
$60 bucks I think I paid.

Anyway, it's worked like a charm...cleaning is a little bit of a pain, but it sure comes in handy for buckboard bacon, london broils, turkey breasts, big hunks of ham and balogna, and perfect for getting thin slices of ribeye to make philly's!

Thanks Cap! Are you able to get outside the 1/16 to 7/8 inch thickness quoted by the manufacturer? I thought I read somewhere you were able to get to a negative thichness or something to that effect.. :-D

Don't the strings get all greasy?

Mandolin.jpg

Chris Finney said:
I know it's a Mandolin. I used to sit in with the Dunns Mountain Boys, blue grass band every once in a while. I used to play guitar. I could play Foggy Mountain Breakdown on the banjo. :-D
Well, excuuuuse meeee!!! LMAO!!

Niagara River Smoker said:
Thanks Cap! Are you able to get outside the 1/16 to 7/8 inch thickness quoted by the manufacturer? I thought I read somewhere you were able to get to a negative thichness or something to that effect.. :-D
Well, I'm ordering it today ~ Thanks guys!

Well I'm not good at fractions, but the meat will move either way past the blade....does that help ? I guess one side would be negative.

Hey Capt'n..

Your reply does help ~ Thanks...But to be more specific on my
question, can you slice meat thinner than 1/16"? Can the blade be
recessed so far that it doesn't cut the meat at all? Also, have you
tried to cut raw meat with yours?

Bob T, how 'bout you?

Thanks ;~)

Yes, the blade can be recessed that far (by plenty).

Yes, I sliced raw ribeye into slivers that made Philly's that were to die for.

Back
Top Bottom