Buying a smoker next month- advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Learn to feel the meat and you will not be held slave to a thermo nor to a message board. Simply poking the meat with your pit thermo and feeling for resistance is the most accurate way to assess doneness. I think we went thru a time where all the fancy-schmancy electronics was fun and exciting. But now, I impress people much more with my knowledge of feeling meat and that holds true for steaks and chops as well as BBQ.

Erik, This is true and only comes with experience. When I started cooking competitions last year, alot of the other cooks told me they don't use temps on the meats. The use a toothpick and check resistance. I am almost there on my cooks, but I still temp the meats to double check. Good luck with your purchase and have fun!

Its that easy..the WSM is a good design...and you also got good advice..just remember if you looking you ain't cooking...keep the lid on as much as possible... ;)

Sounds undercooked to me. The brisket was more than likely in the "plateau". Next time let it ride it might take a while but it'll start to climb in temp. If a probe slides in easily it's done in my book.
Everything looked real good. 8)

Eric
A brisket need to get to 188 to 200 internal to be tender. With small brisket flats using weight and time won't usually work. 1 to 1 1/2 hour guild will be to short a time in the cooker. Connective tissue takes time to break down so the time guide can work with a larger brisket but not reliable on a small one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom