Butts were on sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Harris Teeter had butts on sale for .99 lb. Bought 4 for a test run on the WSM. Few questions:

1. Sand or water?

2. How long, this is the second cook, first long one?

3. How much Kingsford will I use?

I was told sand holds temps better.
I did a butt and two chucks. Cook was 12 hrs. some said it wasn't long enough.
I used just under a 1/4 bag.

Puff said:
I was told sand holds temps better.
I did a butt and two chucks. Cook was 12 hrs. some said it wasn't long enough.
I used just under a 1/4 bag.

Just for the sake of argument, you didn't foil did you? I usually foil but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for this one I am not to satisfy the OTHER members on this forum.

Sand or Water up to you...if you use sand watch the temps on the way up...if you use water you'll need to add more at about the 8 hr mark...

Charcoal...fill the ring and maybe a little extra..
My butts typically take about 16hrs....without foil

Unless I've been in a bad time crunch, I've never foiled my butt until after it comes off and goes in the cooler.

Get a 20lb bag of kingsford and 4-5 chunks of wood. Fill the ring to the point it's about to over flow and mix your wood throughout. Use sand, (no fuss no muss), about 1/3 of a pan wrapped serveral times with foil. Add your butts then add about 10-15 lit coals. Keep all vents 100% open until your dome temp hits 200*, then shut the bottom three down 75%. Your temp may initially drop about 5 degrees, but will continue to slow creep up and should settle between 245-260*, which which will give you a grate temp between 230-245*. When you temps start to drop about 8-10 hours later, give the legs a light kick or tap to knock the excess ash through the charcoal grate. Sometimes a light stir of the coals is necessary to help with airflow.

Larry Wolfe said:
When you temps start to drop about 8-10 hours later, give the legs a light kick or tap to knock the excess ash through the charcoal grate. Sometimes a light stir of the coals is necessary to help with airflow.
Emphasis on the light or you'll have charcoal ash on the meat. :shock:

--John 8)
(DAMHIK. :oops: )

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Harris Teeter had butts on sale for .99 lb. Bought 4 for a test run on the WSM. Few questions:

I got 4 this morning from the local BiLo 1.99 a lb , and tht cleaned the shelf , they didnt have any ribs left at all . They had what I would call baby butts , them things dont even look big enough to feed one person.
The ones I got were 16.5 lbs totaled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom