Butts cook just started! (with pics) - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #1

Butts cook just started! (with pics)

Doing a couple of butts to take with me to Charlotte this Sunday for a family reunion. Went by Sams and got a pack of 2. Came home, made some injection, which is a spicier, sweeter version of my my sauce. Injected, let sit for a while, then applied my rub to the top side. Layer by layer. Salt, then turbo, then cayenne, then black pepper, then paprika.
I sliced open the plastic to expose the top, but am letting it sit like that a little longer. In a while, I'll pull the butts from thier plastic (hoping more of the injection soaks in, and will rub the other side. Then jaccard, mustard, and a little more rub. Then straight to the WSM.

You'll notice I do a couple things different from most. I am proud to share my technique here for the first time. It ain't bad.

By the way, I love my new Maverick. It's 91 on my patio, heat index probably near a hundred. Now I don't have to go out and constantly check the temps!!

injection

[img=http://www.ephotohut.net/tb/080705132752.JPG]

Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #2

Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #3

picture coming soon of me in my hammock to make Jack jealous!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Pork Butt

Looks good, Capt. Any chance of swinging through Florence and picking up your "long-lost cousin" to take to the reunion?LOL Otherwise, I've got a "honey-do" list a mile long that I'm staring at as my weekend. Keep posting pics.
Rev.Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #5

Susan, I only to the fat cap. I don't trim these at all....they're Sams in the 2 per pack deal, and it's trimmed enough for me. You know how some people cut diamonds in the fat/skin on a ham? Same reason I do it....let's it render down a little better, and drives some of the rub into the meat. Not a big deal, it just works for me.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Your technique sound interesting CM, I haven't tried injecting yet and layering on individual rub components should give you great control over quantities.

Looking forward to the rest of the pics!
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #7

"and it was said on that day, that forever more, this will be known as the Morgan Method."

After that, Jim Minion spent years trying to come up with a better technique, and eventually went mad. He retreated to the hills of Washington state, where he was shot by a hunter who mistook him for Bigfoot.

Morgan went on to become famous in the bbq world. After getting his own show on Food Network, he was fired after kicking Bobby Flay's ass backstage.

Stating his own network devoted only to bbq and grilling, Morgan recently opened a chain of Nascar themed bbq restaurants called
"The Pit Stop."

He was last seen in his hammock, counting his money, being served beer by a flock of bust-blessed beauties.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
"and it was said on that day, that forever more, this will be known as the Morgan Method."

After that, Jim Minion spent years trying to come up with a better technique, and eventually went mad. He retreated to the hills of Washington state, where he was shot by a hunter who mistook him for Bigfoot.

Morgan went on to become famous in the bbq world. After getting his own show on Food Network, he was fired after kicking Bobby Flay's ass backstage.

Stating his own network devoted only to bbq and grilling, Morgan recently opened a chain of Nascar themed bbq restaurants called
"The Pit Stop."

He was last seen in his hammock, counting his money, being served beer by a flock of bust-blessed beauties.
:lmao:

You must be smoking bud, not butts!
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

You got to get off the pipe boy, that crack is messin' with your mind.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
Official BBQ Central Mark

My favorite picture of Cappy

[img]
[/img]

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote