Butts, butts and more butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
You into the beers yet Lawrence?

Just got off the bike and opened my first one!!!

Wow it's windy as all get out today and I'm glad I'm cooking on the Primo's and not the WSM's in the wind! Temps are holding pretty tight all day, in the 245-260* range, both top and bottom vents are almost completely shut. Butts in the XL are 177* and the Jr at 167*.
Bike?

I can smell the smoke from here 8)

brian j said:
i'm about to crack my first of the night... just got to get through a 6 pm con call and they it'll turn into a guzzle'fest. this week has KILLED me.
Brian that stuff will kill you too! Just have same MM. ;)

Uh.....Larry....Heeelloooo........pics???

Butts are done, took almost exactly 12 hours. They're pulled, seasoned and put into 2.5 gallon zip loc bags.

Good job as usual Larry!!!! I ordered 4 more bottles of your killer rub!!! [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

DaleP said:
Good color on that Q Larry. Ive gone black and never went back.

The ones on the XL turned out good, color would have been even better if it wasn't jammed packed with meat. That much humidity in the cooker keeps the caramelization down. The two I did on the Jr. turned out awesome, but by the time I pulled them off it was late and I had too much to drink to take quality pic's. :shock:

Larry, great job, one word comes to mind to describe that pork......Primo!

Looks like your all set for winter Q'ing!

Just to show you guys how efficient the Primos are, here's a pic of the Juniors fire box after 14 hours of cooking on a very very windy day. Just to give you an idea of the size of the firebox, it holds about half of what a WSM holds. There was still enough lump to burn for a couple more hours easily. I will take pic's of the XL firebox shortly, it holds about the same amount of coal as the WSM does.

Cliff H. said:
Are you going to boil those ziplock bags ?

Will they hold up to that ?

Those butts do look super fine Larry. ;)

No Cliff. Unfortunately where I work I cannot take my turkey fryer with propane tank onto base, for security reasosns. So I am going to reheat in several crockpots, it'll work but it's not my preferred method. I sucked all the air out of those bags and stuck in the freezer since the luncheon is not until Tuesday. I will take them out of the freezer tomorrow afternoon to start thawing. That short amount of time in non vacuum bags should be okay. I didn't want to waste all of my baggage since I wasn't going to reheat in them.

BTW, zip loc bags do not hold up in boiling water. Lets just say I learned that one time trying to reheat a gallon of chili.................... :oops:

The Missing Link said:
Looking good larry. Did you sauce are you saucing at the party?

I'm gonna lightly sauce when reheating, mainly for moisture. I'll provide my sauce, Reverend Marvins, Texas Pete and SBR's when serving to give a variety for everyone.

Uncle Al said:
Too bad you don't have any WICKED GOOD BBQ SAUCE to serve with your fabulous pulled pork. ;) ;)

Al

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Nice Larry. Did you do the mustard thing before the rub? Reason I ask is that the last butts I did on a primo came out a little on the dark side.

Nope, no mustard slather, just the rub.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom