Butts are on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Put two butts on the WSM at 8pm. Using lump & hickory.
Both are injected, one with the WRO injection and rubbed with WRO, The other one with plain AJ and a little salt and rubbed with TexJoy(Thanks Cliff).
Hopefully their done in time for the drop of the green flag at Daytona :D

Cliff I filled the ring. I figured it would be a long cook.
Cleglue temp is about 22* outside.
Finney....what offset? ;)

Had a bit of a dissaster here. I went to bed at midnight and the dome temp was 275* and holding and butt temp was 100*. Sometime during the night I lost the signal on the Maverick and when I woke up at 6:30am the fire was out. Butt temp was at 88*. I am concerened about how long the temp was low. I don't know how long it was.
Any ideas?

Puff said:
Had a bit of a dissaster here. I went to bed at midnight and the dome temp was 275* and holding and butt temp was 100*. Sometime during the night I lost the signal on the Maverick and when I woke up at 6:30am the fire was out. Butt temp was at 88*. I am concerened about how long the temp was low. I don't know how long it was.
Any ideas?

Hopefully you got the fire back up as soon as you could. If you went to bed at midnight and the pit was at 275 and the butt was at 100* and when you woke up the butt was only at 88* you're fine. If the fire was completely out and you're butts were only at 88* they more than likely made it out of the danger zone (*140) for a bit to begin with before the fire went out. It's also very cold where you are and once the fire went out the temps would drop very very quickly, so again if they were only at 88* I bet the fire hadn't been out very long. I would just get the pit back up to temp as quickly as you can and cook as normal. Had this been a hot summer night, things would be different.

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
Any ideas?

Hopefully you got the fire back up as soon as you could. If you went to bed at midnight and the pit was at 275 and the butt was at 100* and when you woke up the butt was only at 88* you're fine. If the fire was completely out and you're butts were only at 88* they more than likely made it out of the danger zone (*140) for a bit to begin with before the fire went out. It's also very cold where you are and once the fire went out the temps would drop very very quickly, so again if they were only at 88* I bet the fire hadn't been out very long. I would just get the pit back up to temp as quickly as you can and cook as normal. Had this been a hot summer night, things would be different.
Once I realized what had happened I had the fire relit in 15 min.
I agree that if it was hot outside it would have been a different story.
I feel comfortable finishing the cook.
Thanks Larry

How'd the fire go out????????????????????????

Did you run out of charcoal??????????????????

Bruce B said:

Every bit of lump was gone.
I had the ring filled to capacity when I started.

Puff said:
Bruce B said:

Every bit of lump was gone.
I had the ring filled to capacity when I started.

Puff next time you use lump especially for an overnighter, you gotta really meticulously place the pieces into the ring. Otherwise they'll just pile on top of eachother and it'll look like you have alot more in there than you really do. Due to the various size pieces of coal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom