Butts and Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Picked up some meat from the local grocery store yesterday, they were having a good sale. Gotta 6lb butt and the biggest brisket they had (4lbs)!
Rubbed the butt down with my buddy Tim Handy's "Southern Q" BBQ Seasoning, of the Award Winning "JT's BBQ Competition Cook Team". Then I rubbed the brisket down with the last of my supply of Wolfe Rub Bold! I need to get more!! :shock: Cooking over KF and hickory and monitoring the temps in the meat and the cooker with my Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometers. These things are great, I've got the alarms set for the meat and the cooker, so I can relax inside until the meat is ready to come off the cooker!!

Looks like you are having some quality down time today Larry.

Do you plan on leaving those mavericks stuck to your smoker the whole time ?

Do you think it will get to hot at some point to leave them there ?

Cliff H. said:
Looks like you are having some quality down time today Larry.

Do you plan on leaving those mavericks stuck to your smoker the whole time ?

Do you think it will get to hot at some point to leave them there ?

Yep they'll be there the whole time Cliff. They'll be fine, I have the one resting on top of the one with the clip that comes with the Mavericks, because I lost the other clip.

Looking good bro'!
I was wondering about putting the Maverick on the side of the cooker and leaving it there. Thanks for the answer ;)

The Missing Link said:
larry are you sure that a brisket are is it a steak. LOL looking good bro! :LOL:

Funny you should say that Link. I ain't never had a brisket cook like this one. I put the meat on around 7am, the butts at 170* and the brisket is only at 154*!!! :shock: Stubborn!!!

7 hour mark and I'm baffled!!!! Never ever ever ever had a brisket take 2 hours per lb but this is a first for me!!!! Butts at 170* and the briskets at 161*.

Larry Wolfe said:
7 hour mark and I'm baffled!!!! Never ever ever ever had a brisket take 2 hours per lb but this is a first for me!!!! Butts at 170* and the briskets at 161*.

Must be the damn thermometers slowing it down. Maybe the rub was to old? :shock:

Hang in there Larry, that's not at all unusal for me.

Most of the briskets I've cooked have taken 2 hours a pound. I'm usually at 225 degrees. Lately I've increased the temp. to 250. I still very new at the brisket. My wife has said she really doesn't care for brisket. I still have a few in the freezer. Hang in there.

'cept for them hard cooked chicken eggs.......that dinner looks awesome bro'!

Great looking meal Larry! Did you eat that whole platefull? I can't eat that in three seatings now! I'm hopeing you had some room for desert too! ;)

Back
Top Bottom