Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I must admit I have always been a bit of thermometer watcher when it comes to cooking roasts or butts or any large cut of meat. WHen I cooked buffalo brisket the general consensus was it was not cooked enough or long enough. People have told me both here and other places that it needs to cook longer and hit a higher temp so the fat melts better. I always consulted the thermometer.

Soooooo I cooked 2 9lb butts yesterday and my thermometer was broken (Finney I will be calling soon for new probes). My new plan was to shoot for a longer cook time and a higher temp. I know a 9lb butt will hit 170-180 on my cooker in about 9 or 10 hours so I shot for 14 hours. I took it off after 13 as I was concerned. I have to say that it has been my best effort to date. It not only falls apart but was so succulent and wonderful I am not sure how to describe it. I guess really good would describe it. Next time, with my thermometer in good working order I am going to document the time and temps. Thanks to this forum I think I have had a BBQ breakthrough.

A couple hours in:
IMG_3547.jpg

13 hours and getting ready to be rested:
IMG_3556.jpg

So tender I had to lightly and slowly give them a twist as they were falling apart. Anything stuck to the grill I ate:
IMG_3561.jpg

Pictures of pulled pork to follow.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Looks good. Sure them was butts? Looks more like picnics. Or maybe they was a combo of butt and picnic which is sometimes called shoulders or full shoulders. Who knows?

Goober

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom