Butt with Finney Rub #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Put a 7lb bone in butt(Ithink, notice the tag on the package, says pork shoulder. Also says roast. Kind of confusing, but at .99 lb couldn't pass it up.)on at 7am. I'm using Finney Rub #1. A finger taste was sweet at first, then came the heat. Not an overpowering heat, subtle but it lingered for a while on my tounge. The sweet was very pronounced. I also injected with fresh apple cider.
I'm using apple, cherry, and a chunk of black cherry for smoke. I wanted to use hickory too, but the store had none. The internal temp is 136 after 8 hrs. The wind is blowing like hell out of the North and I'm going through lump like crazy.
I've also been in the Puff test kitchen working on a sauce using Finney Rub #1 & Wolfe Rub Original. I'll never copy what they had at SOTB but I'm trying to come up with something close. Talked to Larry about it. He said he knows the recipe, and also mentioned something about having to kill me if he told me. (Kidding)
That's it for now, let's see how she comes out.

You're fine Puff...it's a Boston Butt, half of the whole shoulder with the picnic ham section the other half. Butchers label it as a roast so
shoppers will know they can just roast it. Sells more that way.

Captain Morgan said:
Your fine Puff...it's a Boston Butt, half of the whole shoulder with the picnic ham section the other half. Butchers label it as a roast so
shoppers will know they can just roast it. Sells more that way.
Thanks Cappy. The label just didn't make sense.

Puff said:
The label just didn't make sense.

You're right. What a confusing label...shoulder, butt, roast.

Wow Puff, I'm impressed. I didn't think the van would be big enough to have a test kitchen. When are you going to start shamelessy hawking your sauce?

Griff

Griff said:
Puff said:

Wow Puff, I'm impressed. I didn't think the van would be big enough to have a test kitchen. When are you going to start shamelessy hawking your sauce?

Griff
Thanks Griff.
The test kitchen is pulled behind the van 8)

The sauce will be hawked as soon as Finney & Larry give me the true recipe ;)

Butt is at 150. I didn't take any "in the smoker cooking" pics.
With the weather I've had to deal with........I am not opening that lid!

Puff said:
Griff said:
Puff said:

Griff
Thanks Griff.

It's a Szecret.... [smilie=nonono.gif]

Finney said:
Puff said:
Griff said:
Puff said:

Griff
Thanks Griff.

It's a Szecret.... [smilie=nonono.gif]
I know :roll:
That is a good sauce! My experiments taste good, but not the same :cry:

Puff said:
Griff said:
Puff said:

Griff
Thanks Griff.

With the weather I've had to deal with........I am not opening that lid![/quote]

Wise choice Puff! We'll be happy with finished pics! Keep playing with the sauce, you will get it!

Foiled at 165, pulled at 195. Rested in warm cooler for 1 hr.
Finney I really wanted to try this rub on a butt. It was worth the wait. The rub even after 12hrs. still held almost the same flavor it had out of the bottle. The heat was not as prominent as it was on the finger test. But still there, just not as strong. It produced great tasting bark also .The combination I tasted as far as heat and sweet was perfect in the finished product.
Very good rub Finney ;)

Puff said:
Foiled at 165, pulled at 195. Rested in warm cooler for 1 hr.
Finney I really wanted to try this rub on a butt. It was worth the wait. The rub even after 12hrs. still held almost the same flavor it had out of the bottle. The heat was not as prominent as it was on the finger test. But still there, just not as strong. It produced great tasting bark also .The combination I tasted as far as heat and sweet was perfect in the finished product.
Very good rub Finney ;)

Looks great Puff. Glad you liked the rub. ;)

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Griff said:
Puff said:

Griff
Thanks Griff.

With the weather I've had to deal with........I am not opening that lid![/quote]

Wise choice Puff! We'll be happy with finished pics! Keep playing with the sauce, you will get it!
:scratch [smilie=a_whyme.gif] Do you not preview your posts? Can't figure this one out. [smilie=rlp_smilie_178.gif]

Jon said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Griff said:
Puff said:

Griff
Thanks Griff.

:scratch [smilie=a_whyme.gif] Do you not preview your posts? Can't figure this one out. [smilie=rlp_smilie_178.gif]
Yes I do preview my post's.
The weather was bad today when I was cooking. I had a hard enough time keeping my cooker up to temp. Opening the lid to peek or snap a pic would have cost me alot of time and alot of lump.
Not sure I understand what you don't understand.

Looks very good Puff. Can't wait to try a butt with Finney rub. Oh wait, I don't have any Finney rub. Yours looks good though. :cry:

Guess I will have to rub one with the Wolfe rub I got coming in the mail. :D

Puff said:
Jon said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Griff said:
[quote="Puff":3dygryz8] The label just didn't make sense.

Griff
Thanks Griff.

The weather was bad today when I was cooking. I had a hard enough time keeping my cooker up to temp. Opening the lid to peek or snap a pic would have cost me alot of time and alot of lump.
[/quote:3dygryz8]
Thank you Puff. Your post proves my point. It wasn't your post but Nick Prochilo's that I quoted.

Jon said:
Puff said:
Jon said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="Griff":19yrtgf4][quote="Puff":19yrtgf4] The label just didn't make sense.

Griff
Thanks Griff.

Thank you Puff. Your post proves my point. It wasn't your post but Nick Prochilo's that I quoted.[/quote:19yrtgf4][/quote:19yrtgf4]

Yeah, I told Puff it was good that he didn't open the smoker with the weather that he was having. We shouldn't expect pictures of his cook in progress at the expense of him ruining his cook. I said we would be happy with pictures of the finished product that he has supplied us with. What part didn't you understand?

Nice job Puff, that looked great!

Back
Top Bottom