Butt Cook Moved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Since the other thread ended up more of a sob story for me I created a new thread. :oops:

This was a stubborn stubborn butt, but turned out tasting pretty good. I put it on around 9am yesterday morning and at 6pm it was only aroun 160*, so I cranked the heat to finish this little booger. It was rubbed down with Butt Rub, which didn't give me the color I normally like but the taste made up for it. We had a little store bought cole slaw and potato salad and I topped my sandwich with slaw and Reverend Marvins Hot.

oct_97 said:
Looks good to me. When smoking at 225-250 degrees I never have a butt take less than 2+ hours per pound.

Well this one was right at 9 hours and only at 160*, I would have been having it for breakfast at that rate! :shock:

What did you cook that on? Looks like the pan was a little close???? Is that possible? Maybe the pan deflected the heat in a wierd way(especially for a small butt) or something. Have you done them this same exact way before and had success?? I've had, and so did Woodman, problems with certain butts that have kind of a knot in the center that was like rubber that would not go beyond plateau. I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything but this kind of this intrigues me when this crap happens.

I tried the quick method last weekend on the new Klose and will not do it again. I do not like the texture that resulted. It was across the board on 4 butts. 7 hours to 198. Slow and low for me for now on...or leave the pit in the garage.

Uncle Bubba said:
What did you cook that on? Looks like the pan was a little close???? Is that possible? Maybe the pan deflected the heat in a wierd way(especially for a small butt) or something. Have you done them this same exact way before and had success?? I've had, and so did Woodman, problems with certain butts that have kind of a knot in the center that was like rubber that would not go beyond plateau. I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything but this kind of this intrigues me when this crap happens.

I tried the quick method last weekend on the new Klose and will not do it again. I do not like the texture that resulted. It was across the board on 4 butts. 7 hours to 198. Slow and low for me for now on...or leave the pit in the garage.

Bubba I cooked it on a Primo Oval XL, the drip pan is real close but the lump was on the other side. This is the second butt cook on the Primo, first one was fine. I just think I had a bad butt. Tasted good, but it was just stubborn.

Funny you mentioned something about a knot. I've never seen anything like this before, but there was a "knot" just as you said that tough as hell and wouldn't pull. The rest of the butt was fine.

Man-o-man could I go for a sammy like that right now! :P
So I guess there is a bit of a learning curve with that style of cooker also. A few more cooks and you will get the hang of it. It is a neat cooker.

Green Hornet said:
Man-o-man could I go for a sammy like that right now! :P
So I guess there is a bit of a learning curve with that style of cooker also. A few more cooks and you will get the hang of it. It is a neat cooker.

Not sure if it was the cooker as much as it was the butt I cooked. The Primo held pretty much rock solid temp of 245-250 all day. I also used a rub that I haven't used before. The flavor from the Butt Rub was excellent, but it didn't have any sugar in it like I'm used to with Wolfe Rub. I know that explains the lack of color, but the stubborn part I think was the butts fault.

The Primo honestly is the easiest and most stable cookers I've ever cooked on. It's really efficient on lump as well. The one thing I do have to work on is getting a better smoke ring on it. I just don't seem to get much of one, but this my fault because I have friends that cook on them and they have a great smoke ring. I'll figure it out sooner or later!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Green Hornet":b2i0ai1h]Man-o-man could I go for a sammy like that right now! :P

Not sure if it was the cooker as much as it was the butt I cooked. The Primo held pretty much rock solid temp of 245-250 all day. I also used a rub that I haven't used before. The flavor from the Butt Rub was excellent, but it didn't have any sugar in it like I'm used to with Wolfe Rub. I know that explains the lack of color, but the stubborn part I think was the butts fault.

The Primo honestly is the easiest and most stable cookers I've ever cooked on. It's really efficient on lump as well. The one thing I do have to work on is getting a better smoke ring on it. I just don't seem to get much of one, but this my fault because I have friends that cook on them and they have a great smoke ring. I'll figure it out sooner or later![/quote:b2i0ai1h]

Byrons Butt Rub was the very FIRST rub I EVER used on a pork butt about 5 years ago.....one thing I didn't know was like you said, no sugar but VERY salty. So what do I do? I coat the sucker in the butt rub! I must have used 1/2 the jar. Well pulled it off the cooker, shredded the meat up and it tasted like I was eating the salt container. I haven't used it since, it's very popular though. You gotta go light on that stuff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom