Burn Time - Briquettes - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Pack the briquettes real tight. Some guys have a certain way they load them but I'm not sure on that.
Was your ring full?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
God O'Que

Here's what I do for long cooks with my WSM and I've never had a problem. I take a small coffee can with both the ends cut out and place it in the middle of the charcoal grate. Then I pour in a bunch of Kingsford and fill to the top of the charcoal ring and I pile a few more around the coffee can. I light maybe 20 briguets using my chimney starter and I let em get going nice and hot. Once they are burning good, I poor em into the coffee can and let em go a bit longer then pull the coffee can out with some channel locks and assemble the smoker. I leave all the vents fully open while it heats up then once it reaches my desired temp, I fully close two of the bottom ones and I leave the other at a quarter the way open. I then toss in my smoke wood and away I go. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
God O'Que

I can almost smell the charcoal.

My hunch is your two 4-lb butts won't take much more than 10 hrs, maybe less with a full-packed ring.

--John
(I argue with myself every cook about how much charcoal to start with for the kind and weight of meat I'm readying to cook. I might want my fire to hold temp for 3 hrs for chicken, 6 hrs for ribs, 12-15 hrs for butts .... and I don't always get it right. )
Weber Performer -- Craigslist 2007
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

I just cant imagine how good it would taste to have some hawg butt which has been smoldered over Kingsford for 12-13 hours in an overpriced ECB with a fancy paint job. Yall apparently trying to make me puke here.

bigwheel

ps..I bet the Instant Light version taste really good
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #5

I used to be very sceptical also BW.

Heavy on the used.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
Web Celeb

If you had a full ring of charcoal then it sounds like you have a leak somewhere. You should easily get 10hrs of burn out of a full ring. Check to see if the charcoal and middle section fit together tightly. That could be one of the issues.

I just pour the charcoal in and put 15 or so lit briquettes on top...no special packing of the coal...and I get 16+ hrs of burn time in any weather condition!

Check for the leak!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #7

I've gotten 18 hours out a full ring using a bbq guru. Like Puff said, you have to load the ring up. When I get to the top of the ring, I stand some up along the ring to extend the ring an additional inch or so. Then I pyramid the briquits up to a peak. When I dump some in the chimney to start, I take them from the top of the pyramid so I know they will fit when I dump them on after they are lit.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
God O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
I've gotten 18 hours out a full ring using a bbq guru. Like Puff said, you have to load the ring up. When I get to the top of the ring, I stand some up along the ring to extend the ring an additional inch or so. Then I pyramid the briquits up to a peak. When I dump some in the chimney to start, I take them from the top of the pyramid so I know they will fit when I dump them on after they are lit.

Yeah, there's a reliable source.

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Pope O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
If you had a full ring of charcoal then it sounds like you have a leak somewhere. You should easily get 10hrs of burn out of a full ring. Check to see if the charcoal and middle section fit together tightly. That could be one of the issues.

I just pour the charcoal in and put 15 or so lit briquettes on top...no special packing of the coal...and I get 16+ hrs of burn time in any weather condition!

Check for the leak!
Im with greg on this one....You need a FULL ring. I usually add about half a chiminy starter full of lit coals.

If its windy and cold Ive noticed it will use more fuel.....You can also make sure your door is is tight. I know that was an issue with mine at one point.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Pork Butt

I am going to agree w/ Greg and DB, I have done cooks well over 16 hours by just filling the ring and putting 1/2 a lit chimney on top.

Gomer is offline   Reply With Quote