burgers suck at 160 degrees internal temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curranjohn46

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I used to cook a nice burger. I never got sick and did it by eyeballing. Sure sometimes I wouldn't nail it though.

Some time ago I started experimenting with thermometers. But 160 degrees (the recommended temp) dries out the burger.

I understand there are risks with ecoli and all, but perhaps I should shoot for a lower temp and longer cooking period.

Has anyone devised a systematic way to approach a safe and delicious burger on a webber grill?

Thanks,

John

Well when I make burgers, I always add finely minced onion to the meat before hand. I also use 80/20. Make the burgers thick, this will add extra cooking time to the meat. Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT press the burgers, this will squeeze the juices right out of the meat. After you have taken them off the grill let them rest for a few minutes to draw in the juices that were expelled while cooking. Another thing, if you cook to 150°, after you take the burger off the heat, it will continue to cook another 5-10°.

Normally when I cook burgers, I will start them off on a high heat fire, get them nice and seared on both sides (maybe 2 minutes on each side) them remove them from the heat and finish cooking them indirectly.

Good luck next time.

Great Burgers

I love burgers cooked to around 130 degrees internal and I feel the only safe way to do this is to grind your own burger. I also feel that the very best burgers must contain about 40% fat to remain juicy and have the best flavor.

img_265177_0_1895e57c2b6ac01ede5857898de7e5df.jpg

I start with something like chuck roast which is about 20% fat and then add another 20% fat as I grind the meat.

img_265177_1_a00af1c4efbba6cd6060802ec4997286.jpg

The meat will have some white color in it when the fat content is right.

img_265177_2_e9dda457ea86d7d956d64a943fcbe01c.jpg

14 pounds of the best burger you will ever use for sandwiches.

I cook this meat to no more than medium rare and it is wonderful.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom