Brunswick stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
Anyone have any good leftovers recipes, like a ghetto Brunswick stew or anything that I can use t sell steam table scraps? I'm not feeling creative lately. Could use some ideas.

Here is Big Jim Whitten's Recipe for Brunswick stew.

>Big Jim say all this one time
I had a recipe for Brunswick stew given to me a year or so ago. I been promising to make it on a cool Monday. This was my first attempt at making the Stew. I think I will make it again. I made a 3 gallon batch.
Brunswick Stew
3-4 pounds brisket
3-4 pounds of pork butt
3-4 pounds of chicken
all the above were leftovers.
all deboned and chopped fine.
3 quarts of tomatoes ( 1 #10 can)
2 cans of creamed corn
2# diced onions
½ cup of vinegar
1 cup of sugar
put all in a large pot with 8 cups of water. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also added a good bit of red pepper. Simmer for a couple of hours stirring every now and then. Add the corn at the end of cooking. Well worth making.
Big Jim
bigjim@atlantic.net

Here is Big Jim Whitten's Recipe for Brunswick stew.

>Big Jim say all this one time
I had a recipe for Brunswick stew given to me a year or so ago. I been promising to make it on a cool Monday. This was my first attempt at making the Stew. I think I will make it again. I made a 3 gallon batch.
Brunswick Stew
3-4 pounds brisket
3-4 pounds of pork butt
3-4 pounds of chicken
all the above were leftovers.
all deboned and chopped fine.
3 quarts of tomatoes ( 1 #10 can)
2 cans of creamed corn
2# diced onions
½ cup of vinegar
1 cup of sugar
put all in a large pot with 8 cups of water. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also added a good bit of red pepper. Simmer for a couple of hours stirring every now and then. Add the corn at the end of cooking. Well worth making.
Big Jim
bigjim@atlantic.net
That looks exactly like what i was looking for. Thanks BW!

Chop meat empanada's would be a great way to use them, that or a deep fried chimichangas.

23tqrdw.png

2rx9q3n.jpg

all 3 meat smoked chili is another.

Last edited:
Wow those look freekin tasty! I don't want to do anything fried though. Last Friday we did a smo-fried catfish special, and it was a mess, grease everywhere! I'm ripping the fryer out. The chili could work, though.

Stuffed peppers or do a 3 meat regrind and make smoked or Italian sausage add raw bacon to recreate the fat base so it's not dry?.
33maq7t.jpg

Bosko, you just blew my mind! And the stuffed peppers look awesome! The sausages though, I already have on the menu. If I could make them out of leftovers, that would be a moneymaker!

Wow those look freekin tasty! I don't want to do anything fried though. Last Friday we did a smo-fried catfish special, and it was a mess, grease everywhere! I'm ripping the fryer out. The chili could work, though.
You can make something similar to an Empanada or a Chimichanga, but bake it (OK, in the smoker!). Timing will have to be experimented with, depending on the size, thickness, etc. I'm thinking bake at higher temperatures to crisp up the outside. We were in the experimental stages a couple of years back, but never got it where we wanted it before I lost interest. :eek::(

Danny Gaulden has a recipe which I think is on here to make what he calls flips..where you layer the goodies between two flour torts and fry in a little butter on a flat grill and cut in fourths after cooking. Two is an appetizer and 4 in an entree I think he said. Has cheese to hold it together. I will go try to step and fetch it. It would what is called a Quesedilla in the local Tex Mex lingo. Bet it would sell like hotcakes in your neck of the woods and is about as easy to make as falling off a log. PS..hey Boozer..found the recipe hidden in the archives through Google. Put it in the leftover section of the recipes. Looks like a winner to the untrained eye.

Last edited:
Just made Brunswick Stew With the recipe from BW. Wow! This one is going in the book! The only change I made was adding a cup of my sweet bourbon sauce. This is gonna sell like hotcakes!

Well great news on that. Know it will tickle Big Jim to hear you liked it. He is currently laid up in the hospital taking blood transfusions.

Well great news on that. Know it will tickle Big Jim to hear you liked it. He is currently laid up in the hospital taking blood transfusions.

Aww hell, that's a drag! Well tell big Jim that I made $250 from his recipe, and if that don't get him up then we'll cook some briskets together !

Back
Top Bottom