Briskett Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
V. Roberts said:
I guess I will learn, but this is my first brisket. Due to inclement weather in the forecast I started at 10:00PM and finished at 11:00AM. Then I foiled, towel wrapped and kept it in a cooler for two hours. Part of it is going to be beef pot pie.

Val
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/ ... risket.jpg

It looked really good V, nice smoke ring!
There is alot of info to learn here :!:
Just did my first one 2 months ago,came out real nice.
But like I said, still have alot to learn :!:

Brisket Sucks!! Yes a Texan actually admitted it so I'll say it again, Brisket Sucks!! I'd rather eat boiled chicken. On rare occation you hit one right but if the meat isn't consistant then it sucks to cook it.

I don't know how many I have cooked but the brisket you start with is the key. Choice is better that select and if you can get prime they need to be treaded differently than the choice.

The stall is your friend that is when the connective tissue is being broken down and I find that rushing a brisket through the stall doesn't give you as good finished product as one that is allowed to go through on it's own.

I don't foil untill the brisket hits 190 internal then it is aloowed to rest in dry cooler for min of 2 hours, 4 hours is better.

Prime briskets requirer lower than normal pit temps I would use. 200 to 210 pits don't cook the fat out as the conective tissue is breaking down. Cooked at higher pit temps change the texture and you get the wrong mouth feel.

I find that full packers give me the best results regularly, flats can be done well but the window for problems is much larger.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom