Brisket - why bother with the point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Daddy's KungfuBBQ said:
I typically only smoke flats but on the brisket podcast the panelists all assume that a whole brisket is the only way to go. Why? Especially in comps - why bother with the point at all? Arent most of the slices turned in from the flat anyway?

I have had luck with both the flats and the whole packers in competitons. I like the whole packers because it seems to stay moister. Plus, you get to chop up the point and serve it later as beefy sammies. ;)

Well, they didn't assume...I asked if they use whole packers or flats..and they all used packers. Some say that the flat pulls moisture from the point to keep it moist during the cook...Also, they use packers because they turn in burnt endz with their slices...you need the point to do that.

HEY BOY L@@K for new post tomorrow " How to use the point to raise your
cholesterol". its a good'un too BOY

since we are talking brisket....... if not a butcher where do you find whole briskets? we do not have a butcher here in town. my local grocery, walmart, sams club etc only have half flats. guess I'm sol. reading this thread makes me want to search out a whole one but they are obviously hard to find around here. so if doing a flat I guess I should try and pick the one with the most fat??

gordon said:
since we are talking brisket....... if not a butcher where do you find whole briskets? we do not have a butcher here in town. my local grocery, walmart, sams club etc only have half flats. guess I'm sol. reading this thread makes me want to search out a whole one but they are obviously hard to find around here. so if doing a flat I guess I should try and pick the one with the most fat??

Talk to the butchers at Sams or Walmart, I'm sure they will sell you a whole one before they have a chance to butcher them!

Nick Prochilo said:
gordon said:

Talk to the butchers at Sams or Walmart, I'm sure they will sell you a whole one before they have a chance to butcher them!
I don't know about Sams or Wallmart but the briskets at BJs come already packed as flats :?

We smoke whole briskets because, for whatever reason, they come out better; because I like to do the trimming myself; and because a lot of the people who eat my brisket prefer the point. My wife, for instance. You tell her, she can't have it. I sure as hell won't.

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
gordon said:

I don't know about Sams or Wallmart but the briskets at BJs come already packed as flats :?

pretty sure it's the same at sams and walmart but it's worth asking about.

gordon said:
I ask my local grocer's butcher to order them special. He is glad to do it. I told him about being a BBQ competetor, and he seemed really interested. Plus I brought some finished prouduct by afterword and now he comes to me asking if I want more ordered. Make sure you specify you want choice whole packers, they likely get a couple of meat deleverys a week.

Ponit???

I Judged a contest last weekend and one of the teams turned in their sliced Brisket and placed really neat inside the box were cubed Burnt Ends from the Point!!!!!
Those were the BEST Burnt Ends any of us every tasted. That team won Brisket hands down!!!!!!

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Re: Ponit???

kickassbbq said:
I Judged a contest last weekend and one of the teams turned in their sliced Brisket and placed really neat inside the box were cubed Burnt Ends from the Point!!!!!
Those were the BEST Burnt Ends any of us every tasted. That team won Brisket hands down!!!!!!

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!
:idea: [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

Back
Top Bottom