Brisket Strategies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Well, did a brisket yesterday. The day went from sunny, just above freezing, to a snow storm about -4'C. I have a video that's going to follow. I am still messing around with things that will help my brisket, which I really really love, if it turns out right. Check my vids (signature) for my Zatarains brisket, which was just addictive. I want to get serious about my brisket, but I have a long way to go. I used Wolfe Bold Rub and it turned up spicier than I had wanted.

I brined this brisket, as a local restaurant brines and they have great results. I followed a 1 cup salt/1 cup sugar/per gallon with some minced garlic and ground pepper. I used briquettes and ran out. Honestly, I'm getting sick of briquettes. Lump is more readily available, less ash (I have to walk ashes through my house in a plastic bag), and for efficiency, the lump will burn hotter, so I can restrict air flow and have it last longer. That's the theory.

Anyway, any input on brisket? The options I've tried and wonder about:

- meat preparation (fat trimming: if any, how much?)
- marinading (also amount of salt and time)
- injecting
- salt content manipulation (in the dry rub)
- mopping (I've not done this, and I don't think brisket should have that, but I'll consider it)
- cutting point from flat and doing separately

I'll post the video later of what happened. I'd love to get input from the group. I know brisket is probably one of the toughest things to accomplish right, but I'm good with the challenge.

Cheers

[youtube:bn94trhx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6c5aMusYw[/youtube:bn94trhx]

Music for you, SurfinSapo!

Point was OK, flat was dried up. Any advice to keep the whole thing moist? I'd rather keep the original moisture, instead of putting it in after. I also don't want to poach the bugger either.

Thanks

Inject place in fridge 4 hours season with a good rub add mustard re-season. Place on smoker til done.

Leave point intact with flat, foil at around 8 hrs/160*or so, pull around 190, seperate point and put back on smoker, leave foiled flat in a hot box for a cpl hours...no brine, no injection, just a good not too heavy rub the night before. Too much rub blocks the best seasoning available, smoke. I cook around 235 to 250* and actually I seperate the point and flat when slicing, then I put it back on heat...just depends when ya want to eat it.
dj

Well when that mean old flat get the way you want it just slap a little chunk of made to fit foil and it will be good to go. It sorta like wings on turkeys. Hard to keep em from crisping up on the ends. Now some folks like that burnt stuff I heard. Most likely yankees of some type:) Here we go:

>Anyway, any input on brisket? The options I've tried and wonder about:

- meat preparation (fat trimming: if any, how much?)-Get rid of all you can.
- marinading (also amount of salt and time)-Skip this step.
- injecting-Use FAB P per package directions adding a small can of pineapple juice.
- salt content manipulation (in the dry rub)-Use http://www.headcountry.com All Purpose.
- mopping (I've not done this, and I don't think brisket should have that, but I'll consider it)
Only time meat gets mopped in a bullet is when the lid is off for some other reason. Filling water pans etc. Mop then if you want. *This come direct from the Smoke and Spice book so it got to be right:)
- cutting point from flat and doing separately-Great plan if you want to cook flats. Put the hump up above and let it drizzle down onto the flat. Cooked em thataway many times. Have known some folks over the years who take a packer and pluck out the flat and toss the point in the trash. Cheaper than buying just the flat most times. Nowadays I cook em attached but that just a personal preference old deal.

bigwheel

I love me some good Brisket,never found a need to brine,but i have been useing butcher beef injection with some sucess,i also use BillyBones beef master,apply 6 hours before it goes on the cooker,i also rub down with wor.sauce before applying rub then when i remove from fridge i apply butchers beef rub,cook fatcap down until internal temp reaches 175* then double wrap and cook till tender.I start checking tenderness at 198* with a 2 prong fork when it goes in and out with very little restance shes tender

Sounds like injection is the key.

Bigwheel, what do you mean by FAB? Right now I prefer the point, as the flat is usually pretty plain and drier.

Thanks for the points (no pun intended).

BeeRich - Where do you probe your brisket? If you put the probe in the thickest part (where the point is on the flat) and take it up to temp, then you could overcook the flat. Poke it in the middle area kinda between the two, take it up to "temp" using the poke test to be sure it's done. I also think injecting briskets helps with the moisture. Keep up the good work and perfecting your brisket!

bigwheel said:
- injecting-Use FAB P per package directions adding a small can of pineapple juice.

FAB P is for pork. I wouldn't use it in beef.

FAB is a product that adds phosphates, as well as some seasonings, to pork and beef. This help in keeping the meat moist - because brisket has a tendency to dry out pretty quickly. If this isn't for competition I'd just use some beef broth or some au jus paste diluted with water for flavor. Other products like Kosmos and Butcher do essentially the same thing as FAB.

BeeRich said:
- meat preparation (fat trimming: if any, how much?)
- marinading (also amount of salt and time)
- injecting
- salt content manipulation (in the dry rub)
- cutting point from flat and doing separately

Trim the point so you can make burnt ends - but I wouldn't bother trimming the flat. You can trim the fat before you serve - but some folks might like it!!
I wouldn't bother marinading a brisket - I'd inject instead (see my previous reply)
If you inject you may want to be careful not to use too much salt in the rub.
No need to mop a brisket - especially if you are looking for bark.
I cook the whole packer.

I like to cook my briskets fast. I usually cook 14 lb briskets in 6-7 hours at 350*. I foil at 160*, or whenever I like the color.

Scottie from Cancer Sucks once put it to me like this - don't worry about bark, worry about flavors. You are essentially painting with flavors.
I think he's right.

Music rocked and so did the brisket... Do you know that every brisket is different for some strange reason? Ask JB..

Every one I've had is different, that's for sure.

Yeah, temperature usually taken at the thick end, I should have known that.

My preferences are to cook the whole packer, and inject. Oh ya. Not worried about bark, as I usually expect it on pork more than this one.

OK, another smoke soon. Thanks guys!

Oh, hey, I'm not stopping. It was a little dry, so I'm going to focus on what I've done before and the suggestions here. I will prevail. I'm off to the market today to get some briskets.

Well FAB P is for pork but only up to the extent it doesnt have any beefy overtones to it. It injects a lot cleaner than FAB B in that its not as prone to leave pecker tracks in the meat and doesnt turn the meat brownish tan as is the custom of B. It also dont have to set overnight to noticeably disperse.

bigwheel

monty3777 said:
bigwheel said:

BeeRich,

Brisket was and still is one of my most challenging cooks. My opinion is that you should switch to lump. Switch to dry chunks instead of soaked chips. Trim only the top of the brisket if at all with the exception of the large stip on the side ( I remove it). Inject with some form of broth concoction, use a salt, garlic and pepper based rub applied minutes before going on the wsm. Foil at 175 and check for probe tender at around 195. Leave the point and flat intact. Rest in a towel lined cooler for a minimum of two hours. Slice the flat and point together AGAINST THE GRAIN.

Weather you cook it fast or slow makes no difference. The same general procedure still applies to my cooks.

If "pecker tracks" are your issue (we don't typically have that problem in Iowa - at least not as much as a fella would have in Texas) then use FAB B lite. However, the problem of brown lines was dealt with by the producers a few years back. For comps I use Butchers. I wouldn't inject any phosphates into my brisket if I were eating it at home.

bigwheel said:
Well FAB P is for pork but only up to the extent it doesnt have any beefy overtones to it. It injects a lot cleaner than FAB B in that its not as prone to leave pecker tracks in the meat and doesnt turn the meat brownish tan as is the custom of B. It also dont have to set overnight to noticeably disperse.

bigwheel

monty3777 said:
bigwheel said:

I've tried em all. The FAB's from Joe Ames are the same base with the exception of B which has some roast beef gravy type additions. B Lite just has less of it. Not sure whuts in the Butcher/Packer stuff but sure its sorta similar.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom