Brisket Slicing/saving question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
First, let me explain what I do and then I have a question.....

Normally, I cook brisket flats, foil them at 170 and put them back on the cooker til they hit 195, wrap them again and drop them in the cooler to rest. After a couple of hours, I slice them and put them in foodsaver bags and freeze them. When I want to use them, I pull them out of the freezer, thaw and drop the foodsaver bag in boiling water to reheat and then serve. I have had very good success with this method.

My question is this... Would I achieve the same results (or better) if I were to take those rested briskets (flats in foil) and chill them whole and slice them when they are cold and then foodsaver them?

I was just thinking that maybe as the brisket cooled, it would draw the juices back into the meat and retain it there rather than loosing it when I slice them hot.

Thanks for the input.

Gary

I try to operate under the time tested theory of..."If it ain't broke, why try to fix it."

#-o Geez.. tryin to get a straight answer out of this bunch #-o

hahah

seriously though.. I may be doing a case of briskets this weekend for upcomming events... but may not have time to slice them... so I was wondering if "cold slicing" was maybe even more desireable way to do it than I usually do it.

I could possibly also more effectively use my slicer with cold brisket, I think.....(don't cold meats usually slice better on a slicer than hot?) ...comments on that one?

Once you slice brisket drying out is the problem.
Taking the brisket off the cooker earlier than 195 internal would be my first suggestion (185 to 190 max), then cooling for storage. I would slice after it is warmed up.
Jim

You ever try to slice a cold brisket? It ain't easy! All that hot fat acts as a lubricant to the knofe in my opinion. I say, do it the way you are doing it unless, you are using an electric slicer.

I agree... cold brisket is a real pain to slice with a knife. (been there, done that, got the T-shirt... and don't intend to go back) I have a commercial slicer that I would be using if I decide to go that route.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3komh7dz]I'd brine, foil, usa a pop up timer and freeze it in sand. 8-[

Okay, the rulz say no posting when drunk![/quote:3komh7dz]

no beer in two days for me Nick!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3aohvvi0][quote="Larry Wolfe":3aohvvi0]I'd brine, foil, usa a pop up timer and freeze it in sand. 8-[

Okay, the rulz say no posting when drunk![/quote:3aohvvi0]

no beer in two days for me Nick!![/quote:3aohvvi0]

Did you put that much into your system prior to these past 2 days? #-o

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1zm5xdi0][quote="Nick Prochilo":1zm5xdi0][quote="Larry Wolfe":1zm5xdi0]I'd brine, foil, usa a pop up timer and freeze it in sand. 8-[

Okay, the rulz say no posting when drunk![/quote:1zm5xdi0]

no beer in two days for me Nick!![/quote:1zm5xdi0]

Did you put that much into your system prior to these past 2 days? #-o[/quote:1zm5xdi0]

OMG Brother you have no idea. The thought of beer still makes me quiver! I was on vacation and I treated everyday as such!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":31vqw4hv][quote="Larry Wolfe":31vqw4hv][quote="Nick Prochilo":31vqw4hv][quote="Larry Wolfe":31vqw4hv]I'd brine, foil, usa a pop up timer and freeze it in sand. 8-[

Okay, the rulz say no posting when drunk![/quote:31vqw4hv]

no beer in two days for me Nick!![/quote:31vqw4hv]

Did you put that much into your system prior to these past 2 days? #-o[/quote:31vqw4hv]

OMG Brother you have no idea. The thought of beer still makes me quiver! I was on vacation and I treated everyday as such![/quote:31vqw4hv]

Well thats what vacations are all about!

Hey Hoss...

I don't believe I will make it this year to Snowshoe... I would really like to be there. I am getting competition withdraws. We will be on vacation til that weekend and I don't expect we will get back in time for me to get everthing together and get there for a competition weekend.

Wish you guys the best and I wish i was going to make it.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom