Brisket Question - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Brisket Question

In the past I have not trimmed my brisket. I also do not put any rub on the fat cap. I am considering spending more time on the next one by trimming pretty close. Close enough that I wouldn't need to do anything but slice and serve after the rest.

Do you think it would be a waste of rub to coat the fat cap even when trimmed ?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

I was told to trim so I would get a better smoke ring. I put rub everywhere I can see. Like Big E said, Salt and Pepper is good enough.. Main thing is "slow ans Low".. Video and pics too Cliff....

surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
BBQ Centralite

You can trim them pretty close. I like about .125"-.25" of fat. I rub it everywhere. To me, the secret to a great eating brisket is in the juice. This is where non-foilers lose it in my opinion. You need to double foil the brisket at 160-170 degrees and make certain not to pierce or tear that foil! When you hit 200 degrees, and rest it for an hour or so, you will have all that glorious collagen and fat in the foil. I reserve the brisket, mix the au juis with about o cup of my red sauce and pour back over the brisket to hold before serving. The juice flavors the meat and keeps it moist until serving. It also makes for the greatest bread sop for sandwiches!
Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
You can trim them pretty close. I like about .125"-.25" of fat. I rub it everywhere. To me, the secret to a great eating brisket is in the juice. This is where non-foilers lose it in my opinion. You need to double foil the brisket at 160-170 degrees and make certain not to pierce or tear that foil! When you hit 200 degrees, and rest it for an hour or so, you will have all that glorious collagen and fat in the foil. I reserve the brisket, mix the au juis with about o cup of my red sauce and pour back over the brisket to hold before serving. The juice flavors the meat and keeps it moist until serving. It also makes for the greatest bread sop for sandwiches!
BINGO! I agree with Dave on this 110%!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #5

Well could agree but didnt notice any mention about defatting all that glorious fat..blood..collogen and whutever else collects in those drippings. The brisket fat which accumulates in the foil is some purty nasty tasting stuff till it been removed from the equation.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Smoker

I rarely trim at all but I rub both sides, a dry rub over paste rub thing. I do de-fat the juices (I agree it's important to do).

Here's a recent one: 13.25 lbs, took a bit over 4 hours.

--plus roasted fingerlings, roasted asparagus, tomatoes--with mango ketchup, and jus.

Even on the occasions I trim, which aren't many, I rub all over. No way would I consider the rub wasted.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Smoker

Yup--been preaching the butter addition for a while. You don't need much. It helps the jus cling and adds some shine.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #8

Could you expand on the butter thing please...
Thanks

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #9

good info here, thanks!

BFD, I love the Wolfe Bold on beef, it really is fantastic.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittdog
Could you expand on the butter thing please...
Thanks
De-fat the juices. (I use a fat separator.) Re-warm them, if necessary, and add a little unsalted butter. (I use about a T of butter per 1/2 c jus.) Whisk very well (or use a shaker. The milk solids in the butter will help it to emulsify--for a little while anyway--long enough to make the jus more clingy. I paint the slices with a pastry brush. BFD dips them into his mix.

As he notes, taste the jus prior and add any other ingredients to it you feel are necessary. The butter will help all emulsify. It also adds a bit of shine to the slices, eliminating the dry look brisket often gets after slicing--even if it isn't dry at all.