Brisket on today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Big old long dude. Forget the weight right now. Been on the electric brinkmann with peecan for around 9 hrs so far. Hanging at 140 or so.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 279
I'm on this site almost 5 years "Never A Picture" did someone highjack you BW? Will it be too much to ask for some sliced pictures later? ;) It is a great lookin' brisket!

Well actually an old boy showed me how to post pics. The propane tanks go with the gasser but they are all empty. The brisket was pretty good. Didnt have much in the way of rub so used salt and pepper. Rub is better.

Excellent. When I clicked on the link I was prepared to type"no pic = no cook". Looks like good eats tonight.

I've got an 8 pounder on my electric Brinkmanship right now. I started it 16 hours ago. I'm a bit concerned that the crust may be overdone so I wrapped it in foil & put it back on the heat. My Brinkmanship runs a consistent 200deg. We're gonna have our meal about 3 today.
Any suggestions for a non crispy brisket would be appreciated. I will be searching this forum for more ideas.
My family thinks I've perfected my technique for ribs, chicken, & pork shoulder. But the brisket has been a challenge for me.
I do make my own rub. I found a "Basic Rub" recipe in one of my Steven Raichlen books that I use as my starting point & adjust for the meat I'm putting it on. I highly recommend finding a rub recipe you like & make adjustments to perfect it for you pallet.

Thats right. If they do it themselves they cant nag huh? Or maybe be less likely to nag should I say.

Honeyswell41, Most rubs have the same basic ingredients to start out with, which are... Paprika, Kosher Salt, garlic powder, onion powder. After that it is up to you on what type of rub you are looking for. Savory, sweet, spicy. Try this next time you plan to smoke a brisket. A few days in advance go to you local store, and get a couple of top sirloin steaks. Since this is beef, the rub will give about the same taste as a brisket. You can even add a bit of smoke to it if you like. What you do is slice the sirloins across the grain in made three pieces per loin. This should give you a good fair size piece of steak, now coat each one with a different rub. just put it on the smoker just like you would for smoking a brisket, or put it on a grill that is set for indirect cooking. I have done this many times, for the same reason that you are doing. Smoking, and BBQ is all about experimenting, and having a good time. Just sit back with a beer one day and try this. Good luck, and good times.

Well I hate to interrupt psychedelic dreams of elderly hispters from up North but..no that aint right. Most rubs are either salt based or sugar based. Few paprika based but not too many. The only folks who use Kosher salt are Jewish Yankees. What are yall smoking up there? Is it legal now?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whatever you like on a steak will be good on a brisket. Even if it's just salt and pepper. Save the sugar for your pork. A properly cooked beef brisket has plenty of savory beef flavor, it don't need much help.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whatever you like on a steak will be good on a brisket. Even if it's just salt and pepper. Save the sugar for your pork. A properly cooked beef brisket has plenty of savory beef flavor, it don't need much help.
Yeah! And I'll drink to that post!
:drinkers:

Back
Top Bottom