brisket ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
So Im down in Ft Myers and the local Walmo has beautiful briskets for $1.69 a lb and its killing me as I dont have my smoker. I really want to cook one. Any ideas on other things to do with it besides corned beef ?

I would break the bank and buy your MIL a WSM ;) that way you can have your brisket and eat it to....your MIL deserves a WSM

wittdog said:
I would break the bank and buy your MIL a WSM ;) that way you can have your brisket and eat it to....your MIL deserves a WSM
ummmm...well..aaahhh...NOT.... There is a med size Weber Kettle I was eying up over at the Ace hardware... Ive had enough of cooking over gas and flavorless meat. Im marinating some thighs as we speak so today may be the day.

So, back to the brisket. I was thinking maby a stew and or soup. C'mon..dont make me Google this !

The classic recipe has you braise, low and slow with dry Lipton Onion Soup mix sprinkled on top. Right out of the 1950s.

I would, instead, remove most of the surface fat and brown aggressively on both sides. The braising liquid would be the place to build flavors. Red wine, tomato paste, onions and some stock to bring the volume up to near the top of the brisket. Season with your favorite herbs, salt and pepper. Peel some potatoes, carrots and and toss in with an hour or so to go.

I take my smoked briskets to an internal temperature of 210F.

Steve

John ;}-

Brisket can be ground , as it has an approximate 80/20 ratio of fat to red meat.
It can be "SLOW" cook in the oven any number of ways, then shredded for a Bottle BBQ,or in Tamales, Enchiladas,Quesidillas,Nachos, Tacos and Burritos. :!:

Cook aromatic veggies with it an have as a roast-like meal(key is to slow cook-low temps and open(no cover so liquid can move through it. keep it in a bath and it'll be fine. :D

Hope THAT get yer imagination stirred up :roll: Err, Helps ya, :roll:

Well yall dispensing a lot of good advice here but I ain't hear nobody emphasize to the young man that hunk o cow gonna have to be defatted somewhere along the rusty dusty trail. Hopefully twice. Once during cooking and once after. Also when you trim it prior to cooking as the fella said..get rid of all that nasty old fat twixt the point and the flat too. You can either dig it out from the sides with your trusty Forschner 6" curved boner...or using the same knife whack through the little bit of lean on the hump end and flop it open like an oyster..point be one half shell and the flat the other..course they aint the same size but hopefully you getting the pitcher. All that fat needs to be trimmed. Si si? I got the info from Gordo (Gordon Bevell) from somewhere down around Jouston. He has won mo cooking contests than Carter has little liver pills. You know it got to be right. ;)

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom