Brisket - Fat side up or down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Texana said:
Kloset BBQR said:
Well, from a purely scientific standpoint, I can't see any advantages to fat side down, it just seems like a waste of a free basting which means less opening of the pit which I believe is a good thing, right. Scientific explanations keep opinions out of it and keep the discussion civil I hope.

Do you have any scientific data to confirm that the basting of the fat acutally does anything? If so I would realy like to read about it.

I dont know one way or the other myself, but I would think it is pointless. As it renders it seems to just roll of, but hey thats my opinion. If that is the case put it on the bottom and save it some travel time. I cook fat side down and it works great for me.

I wonder if this would fall into one of those myth catagories such as Searing Meat Seals In The Jucies.
Just very curious ... thats all.

Scientific Data???? :idea:

You're pullin my leg, please say it ain't so! :razz:

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
Texana said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":ptxdkt7t]Well, from a purely scientific standpoint, I can't see any advantages to fat side down, it just seems like a waste of a free basting which means less opening of the pit which I believe is a good thing, right. Scientific explanations keep opinions out of it and keep the discussion civil I hope.

Do you have any scientific data to confirm that the basting of the fat acutally does anything? If so I would realy like to read about it.

I dont know one way or the other myself, but I would think it is pointless. As it renders it seems to just roll of, but hey thats my opinion. If that is the case put it on the bottom and save it some travel time. I cook fat side down and it works great for me.

I wonder if this would fall into one of those myth catagories such as Searing Meat Seals In The Jucies.

Scientific Data???? :idea:

You're pullin my leg, please say it ain't so! :razz:

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:ptxdkt7t]

AMEN!

Jack W. said:
IMHO the hard white fat on beef is great for the ground beef, but not as good for basting.
Right. This type of fat doesn't render at Q temps. Fat down is to protect the meat from the heat below that you have in a WSM or other kind of vertical cooker like a BGE. There can be different dynamics in an offset where you might need to cook it fat up or down to start, flipping periodically, and possibly mopping as well.

Well I just finished my first brisket with the fat side down. I'll never go back to being on top. :) Hardly any fat cap to remove as it has all dripped ino my water pan I use to keep the juices recirculating.

Texana said:
Kloset BBQR said:
Well, from a purely scientific standpoint, I can't see any advantages to fat side down, it just seems like a waste of a free basting which means less opening of the pit which I believe is a good thing, right. Scientific explanations keep opinions out of it and keep the discussion civil I hope.

Guys,

I just got back from a weekend camping trip (Maiden voyage in our new travel trailer). Did get some traditional grilling, Hot Dogs & Hamburgers on a Weber Oklahoma Joe Platinum (18" grill) as well as some great ribeyes. No brisket.

Just wanted to post back to some of the great reply's. I don't have any scientific data for fat side up or down. I was just hoping to make a decision based on science to keep the emotion out of it. Now fat side up does make sense to me if you believe that there is a basting advantage to it. I have heard this from both Steve Raichlen and Paul Kirk but I have also heard many championship BBQ'rs swear on fat side down. I do believe that there is a difference possibly based on what type of equipment you are using. I'm generally using a Klose offset.

I would love to hear Jim Minion chime in on this because I believe that if anyone can explain this scientifically it would be Jim. Jim has a lot of credibility with me because he is also a Kingsford advocate for smoking. :grin: But could he be advocating fat side down for WSM's or for all equipment? I'm just trying to figure out the best method by asking a lot of questions.

As the bank robber in the original Dirty Harry movie said to Clint Eastwood when Clint asked him was it 5 or 6 rounds and the guy looking down at that 44 magnum replied "I just gots to know!"
:D

In the end I guess If I flip, I'll be right at least half the time.

Thanks for everyone's input. Some very good responses.

Kloset

I like to cook it fat side down for no other reason that to apply a really layering of rub onto the good part...Apply, let it meld, apply let it meld. I do this about 2-3 times and out workd out really well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom