Brisket Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
So I go to Sams to pick up a small Brisket Flat to smoke for Sunday and all Sams has is a few flats at $2.96 per lb. The 7-8 lb flats all cost around $24.00

They also have a couple of good looking packers that are $1.50 per lb.

After thinking it over a bit I decided to get this here whopper at 17.49 lbs. I am thinking about doing a fast and hot run with this one because I don't really have 20 hours to dedicate to smoking it. ;)

Cliff H. said:
So I go to Sams to pick up a small Brisket Flat to smoke for Sunday and all Sams has is a few flats at $2.96 per lb. The 7-8 lb flats all cost around $24.00

They also have a couple of good looking packers that are $1.50 per lb.

After thinking it over a bit I decided to get this here whopper at 17.49 lbs. I am thinking about doing a fast and hot run with this one because I don't really have 20 hours to dedicate to smoking it. ;)

You Go Cliff. Progress pics please.

Yeah!!! Go Cliff!!! That's what I like about Sams, they sell packers "CHEAP" unlike the other wholesale store that only sell flats!

wittdog said:
Cliff if you go hot and fast are you going to inject first...

I loaded it up with 2 cans beef broth and whatsthishere last night. :D

I have decided to go ahead and cook this brisket hot. I am planning for 30 min per lb. I also plan to trim it up good. I wonder if an tater peeler would work on beef fat. ?

I am going to allow 10 hours so I am not in a hurry this morning. I'm a little nervous about it though. ;)

Sharp knive is the way to go...or toss it in the freezer for 30min...the fat should harden up....and you might get a little bit of a icecrust but the fat should cut easy....and you'll probably get one hell of a smoke ring ;)
Old sausage making trick.

wittdog said:
Sharp knive is the way to go...or toss it in the freezer for 30min...the fat should harden up....and you might get a little bit of a icecrust but the fat should cut easy....and you'll probably get one hell of a smoke ring ;)
Old sausage making trick.

[smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Brisket on at 8:00pm

I got the wsm up to 295. I think I will take it as high as 350 in the dome if the wsm will do it. What do ya'll think ?

I think you'll be able to get the WSM up to 350*. I had mine up to that temp doing rib roasts and turkets. But I don't know how long it will stay there.

The brisket hit 195 at 1:30 am. When I tested it with the probe it was still tough as a boot. I really thought I was in trouble. Thirty min later the probe met with some resistance but nothing like the first check. I knew it was stating to tender up. I also knew that it was going to be in the cooler for a long time so I went ahead and rested it before it was butter cutting tender.

This brisket rested for seven hours in the cooler surrounded with towels. It was still very hot when I got it onto the cutting board. I poured a 1/4 cup of apple cider in the foil when I wrapped it this morning. I poured off abut 3/4 cup after the rest. ( I poured it back on the meat after slicing).

I found it to be quite impressive how much juice was coming out of this thing after being in the cooler for so long.

It was as tender as any that I have done. The end of the flat closest to the edge was a bit dry but fall apart tender.

As you can see, the folks at the potluck hated it. ;)

wittdog said:
Looks great..how did you like that rub all cooked up.

The Lone Star BBQ rub that Steven Raichlen is the one I used. I could smell it but really couldn't taste it. Maybe it would work better on a longer cook.

Cliff H. said:
wittdog said:
Looks great..how did you like that rub all cooked up.

The Lone Star BBQ rub that Steven Raichlen is the one I used. I could smell it but really couldn't taste it. Maybe it would work better on a longer cook.

Probably not, but I bet you could taste Wolfe Rub Bold on short and long cooks! :D

Good looking brisket Cliff!!

Back
Top Bottom