Brisket-Butt-Chicken-Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Rank em per your personal taste. I'll bet Ribs come in first most often. Me?

1) Ribs
2) Brisket
3) Butt
4) Chicken

1: ribs ~ Loin backs 1st, then spares

2: Butt

3: Chicken

4: Brisket

Jim and Larry have really surprised me. Although I cook ribs rarely, I cook them more often than briskets. I'm 7/10ths of a mile from the eastern edge of the continent, and it's hard to get people excited about briskets here. I would imagine butts being a hard sell in Texas. Still, I would have thought ribs were universal in their appeal. Interesting.

One of the allures of ribs also lies in the amount of time it takes to do em! Also, the smoke penetration is unequalled!

ribs
butt
chicken
brisket

I've done perhaps a dozen racks of back ribs. I'd do them more often but they are so much work with foiling for a single meal. Butts are more work but the family gets many feeds off of a butt cook.

Last few rib cooks I've taken to foiling in the oven then finish on grill.

Susan Z said:
Butts are more work? Don'tcha' just rub 'em and stick 'em in the smoker and then t(twenty hours later) voila! Pulled pork!

What's hard about that?
I scalp them of external fat for more bark and often end up tying them because they lose their form a bit. Then the cook itself, then it takes me 30 - 40 minutes to pull a butt because I remove any fat and membranes I find.

It's a labour of love.

glad to have you here nshaw.....everyone from Cali also talks about tri-tip. Here in Carolina, I get looked at wierd for asking for brisket. If I were to ask for tri-tip, I think they'd lock me up.

Could you describe it?

Back
Top Bottom