brisket and butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete1

Assistant Cook
As I posted earlier, I plan on doing pulled pork for Christmas. I will be using a butt for the pulled pork.

My son has a small brisket that he wants to prepare when I do the butt.

Will I need to increase the total cook time or just use the guide for each piece of meat? It seems to me that if the cooking temp is the constant we should use the time for each piece of meat. I know that the internal temp will need to be correct. I am just trying to estimate the total cook time.

Thanks, Pete

If the meat is touching, it can act like one piece of meat and need additional time, but if they are separated, no additional time.

Butt on top. Brisket on bottom fat side down. They are done when they are done..lol. I used to buy butts just to cook briskets right. Best brisket baster ever invented.

Ahh thanks Nick. You always sound logical to me too. How many pairs of chromosomes do you have?

I would like to find a butt about 6# to cut down on the cook time. If I cannot find one that small can I cut a larger one to lower the cook time by half? If so, how should I cut it? Maybe just cut to the size I want and save the rest for another cook?

I am really doing you guys a favor by giving you an opportunity to review the basics while answering my questions. You don't need to thank me. HEHE

At the risk of being redundant here yet again..I like to cut a big butt 8 lbs or so into two halves...once half which has the bone and the other half which dont. Then you cook the bone in side nekked the whole time...while wrapping the boneless model at 170. Then when you want to make pushed pork you push em together. Nice yankee showed that strategy. Otherwise let them drip on the lean side of the brisket. Simple huh? If you cant eat all the pork it freezes well.

B-DUB you are redundantly, redundant, to redundantness, you know that!

MAN LOVE ALL AROUND. Come on it's the Holidays! :p

I guess y'all likes yer brisket to taste like pork? I dunno, I like pork to taste like pork and brisket to taste like beef. But whaddoIno?

Well has tried to splain this a time or two. My Grandmas folks was refugees from NC and my Grandpas folks was trying to outrun the statute of limitations in Tenn. There was always a Pig in our Parlor..lol. Especially when I was there. To save Max the trouble to connect the dots.

Good Lawdie Miz Claudie..Am I the grand prize winner yet again? lol. I am fixing to send the Warden out to buy Lotto tickets while the streak lasts. Thanks Max. Actually when I was raised up Pork was Po Folks food since it tended to be way cheaper than cow meat...so we had it a lot. I thought Pork Steaks was steak steak until a few years back. Now we could afford beef ribs or soup bones as some call em. Chicken wings was free. That back before the goofy yups in Buffler Noo Yawk decided that was not just soul food. Dont even make me tell about skirt steak. It would break your heart. Oxtails and Chitterlings? Dont go there. Thanks. The only thing yups aint figgered out to screw up the prices on yet is Turkey Necks..and can assure you that is coming.

chicken wings were free ?!!! unreal.
dont worry about the younger generation getting into turkey necks. i watched my new daughter in law pull one out of the thanksgiving bird. you woulda thought it was a cobra.

Back
Top Bottom