brisket - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Baby Back

brisket

I have never smoked a brisket but I just bought one and i will smoke it next week.. I hear its the toughest meat to smoke, any suggestions on how to cook, or prep it? Should I marinade it? How long should I marinade it and in what? What kind of rub? I hear a mustard based rub is good for a brisket, just wanting some ideas from u all. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BOSTN BEANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Baby Back

Re: brisket

Btw, its a 2 pound brisket so its not that big. I read that I should smoke it about an hour and a half per pound.

Another thing I am reading on here is that people are using water pans while smoking brisket... is that just for a certain type of smoker or what? Or do u put a pan full of water on the grill? Im a bit confused. This is my smoker, do I need a water pan or not?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Graduate of BBQ Central

rub; 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, 2 tablespoon garlic powder. Apply rub a couple hours before smoke. 1 tip on rub; when you think you have put enough rub on the brisket, put some more! Not sure about the time per pound, depends on wrap no wrap etc. cook till internal temp is 195-200ish and feels tender with probe. slice against grain and enjoy. i am assuming it is part of a flat. Good luck. next time try to find the whole thing. Will cook better and have leftovers for sammaches.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/images/facebook.png
swampsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Smoker

A good start might be reading Barbecue Brisket – An XI Step Program.

You're making your life much harder and lowering the probability of good results by using such a small piece. My immediate suggestion is that you use the piece you have for something else and find yourself a packer cut.

On the other hand, a small piece will be somewhat quicker.

Cook times are highly problematic both with brisket and small offsets; more problematic still with a small brisket in a small offset; and even more problematic since you didn't say what temp you'll be using it and whether or not you can keep it steady.

When the brisket hits an internal of 150F+ it's quite likely you'll run into a phenomenon called "the stall." Without a lot of information, no one can even begin to guess how long it's going to take for the temp to start moving again once it really slows down. Could be quite awhile.

Don't try and time "ready" and "dinner" too closely. Make your best estimate and allow at least a three hour rest. Get yourself a cooler to hold your resting meat, wrap it in cling wrap while it rests, and it will stay hot enough for service for a very long time.

Small brisket or large, injecting is a very good idea. I'm currently trimming the fat all the way down to the red as a way of getting seasoning and bark on both sides. But as long as you keep steady temps and wrap, a fat cap won't make much of a difference either way. Neither will whether you go fat cap up, down, or flip.

I wrap, but don't mop. Actually, I put the meat on a donut rack in a sheet pan, put a little liquid in the pan, and wrap the whole shebang.

The most important thing for any beginning pitmaster to remember is NO PEEKING. Small offsets like yours are particularly sensitive to an open door. So, NO PEEKING!

Good luck and NO PEEKING,
BDL

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Baby Back

Ok so here's the pics of the finished brisket. It had a really good flavor but it was not tender at all. I need more practice.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Saint O'Que

Quote:
I need more practice.
Was it "not tender" and really chewey? Or was it "not tender" and crunchy?

Chewey, it needs to cook longer. Crunchy, it's overcooked.

In my experience, a tiny brisket like that is lots harder to cook than a larger one. I won't cook a brisket smaller than 10 pounds, but I like them about 15 pounds.

It does look good, though.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Cooker

Looks like some pink in that 2nd pic, not done. I like don't mind do'n small flats(5-10#) as I will foil them. Next time when the internal temp hits about 160-170 put it in an alum foil pan, cover with foil and wait till the them reads about 195. Then check every 1/2 hr or so by push'n the temp prob in the flat. When that prob slides in nice and easy, give or take, then your good to go. Pull it out and let it rest(loose'n foil and kinda tent it) for 30-60min.

Takes practice, if it was easy then it wouldn't be so much fun and so dang good.
BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Baby Back

U guys are right it was undercooked. I think if I foiled it right when I thought it was done I coulda cooked it an extra 30-60 mins. It was good flavor and juicy but a bit too red and chewy. Ill get more practice on it hopefully next week ill smoke a brisket. This time ill get at least a 5 pounded this one was only 2 pounds.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Pope O'Que

I'd say go with the full packer too. When the temp probe (sometimes I use the blunt end of a skewer) slides in and out with very, very, very, very little resistance set it in a cooler for 1, 2, 3 hours. Don't worry about it getting cold. It will still be hot when you pull it out.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Baby Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill
I'd say go with the full packer too. When the temp probe (sometimes I use the blunt end of a skewer) slides in and out with very, very, very, very little resistance set it in a cooler for 1, 2, 3 hours. Don't worry about it getting cold. It will still be hot when you pull it out.

Why is this? Does it rest better in a cooler?