brinkmann smoke 'n pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it normally takes a person from the minority co-moonity to know how to turn out good bbq on them rusty split barrels with wobbly legs..but some of the best I ever had came direct off such contraptions. Never heard of the model in question. Give us a link or something. Thanks.

boar_d_laze said:
They "have eyes to see, and see not; they have ears to hear, and hear not."

BDL
Boar, Unfortunately i can't afford the $5000 or so into BBQ equipment like you have done. BBQ and smoking is something that I would like to get into but not at anywhere near that expense. I am not ignoring your advice and I have considered going with the WSM 22 1/2 model but if I can go with an offset grill/smoker and have the option to use wood and still put out some good product then I am interested. I am just exploring all my options at this point and asking as many questions as I can.

Well I dont see anything overly special about it. Believe I would skip that one. Go back to the split barrel with wobbly legs.

bigwheel said:
I dont think it would be a good plan to depend on using the cook chamber as a direct grill. It aint designed or suited for that purpose. It is designed to operate in the offset mode using charcoal and chunks as fuel. It is hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Is this because the metal is not thick enough so it would warp?

Naw. Metal thickness aint critical cept for longevity maybe. As long as you dont burn direct on top of the metal by use of an elevated firegrate even the thin ones last a long time. That one looks purty hefty. It just dont seem to have many kewlish features not found on a million others. I made several that look just like that one. Sit them up on two inch pipe and a plow disk. The fact it allows the fire to be tended without moving the meat is an excellent plan. If you want bbq just build the fire on one side and put the meat on the other side. If you want grilled put them in a stacked position. That is the po folks method commonly used before the advent of offset creosote factories:) Also works well in rusty split barrels.

bigwheel said:
Naw. Metal thickness aint critical cept for longevity maybe. As long as you dont burn direct on top of the metal by use of an elevated firegrate even the thin ones last a long time. That one looks purty hefty. It just dont seem to have many kewlish features not found on a million others. I made several that look just like that one. Sit them up on two inch pipe and a plow disk. The fact it allows the fire to be tended without moving the meat is an excellent plan. If you want bbq just build the fire on one side and put the meat on the other side. If you want grilled put them in a stacked position. That is the po folks method commonly used before the advent of offset creosote factories:) Also works well in rusty split barrels.
which unit are you referring to? I never intended to cook directly over the fire, I thought about about making a firebox and leaving one section of the grill out and get a small fire going and wait until it is down to coals and use the other 2 grill sections to actually cook the meat and If I needed more heat then put a few more sticks in. Like I said I am perfectly aware that this is not the best way and it is going to take some time and a few mistakes to get things right if I ever do but my main concern is I dont want to ruin it the first time I use it because a wood fire is to hot. Keep in mind that I realize that I can't throw a truck load of wood in it.

I think that is taken from the same source as, "When the blind leadeth the blind they both fall in the ditch."

boar_d_laze said:
They "have eyes to see, and see not; they have ears to hear, and hear not."

BDL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom