Brining Whole Chickens and pork chops.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been brining turkeys for years but have never tried brining anything else besides fish. Anyone have a good recipe for a brine for other things?

I usually start with the Cook's Illustrated brine recipe and modify from there. I mostly brine the really thick pork chops and ckicken breasts so I don't dry them out. Just remember that if you brine too long, you end up with mush or ham (I usually do an hour a pound). I'll modify the brine by using different licquids (like apple juice or cider), changing the type of sugar, using maple syrup or molasses or brown sugar or something like that. You can heat up some of the brine and add hot peppers or other herbs and spices....It's kinda like makin' bbq sauces, one big experiment til' you find options you like.....When I put rubs on after brining, I use rubs with no salt, 'cause it'll get overpowering....

Rob

Captain Morgan said:
I've brined pork chops before and was happy with the results. Pork is not my favorite meat to grill.

Cappy, would you care to share your recipe for the brine and how long you brined the chops? Thanks in advance!

Larry, I did these pork chops last week and they were great. Nice and moist and tender.

Brine
1 qt. water
1/4 cup Diamond crystal table salt
2 tablespoons sugar

I brined the pork chops for about 3 1/2 hours. I rinsed them when I took them out of the brine then rubbed them down with what else but KC Masterpices BBQ seasoning. Grilled them until they hit 150* internal, flipping them 1/2 way probably 3 - 4 minutes per side.

Enjoy them. I'm gonna try this with chicken one of these days. I've been really enjoying my chicken with Goya MoJo marinade though. I'm gonna post the brine in the reciepe section.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom