Originally Posted by boar_d_laze
It depends on how strong your brine is.
Exactly. However a 'brine' isn't a brine, unless it's a 'brine'. Meaning, 1/4 cup salt per quart of water. (yeah yeah, I hear the type of salt matters, bullshit) I've used non iodized table salt 90% of the time, used Kosher the other 10%, NO difference other than the cost of the salt.
DB, the bottomline is a turkey (or piece of meat can only absorb so much), so the time isn't a factor until you think aboutt the texture of the meat........the longer you leave the 'meat' in the brine, the more it will break down and you will have 'spongy' textured meat.
If your brine is less that 1/4 -1/4 ratio, it's not a brine, it's more of a marinade. So soaking longer won't affect the finished product 'texture' as much. The Honey Apple Orang BS, that is raved about on TVWBB and by idiots like Scotty here, is simply NOT a brine, it's a marinade. Yes, it may be good, but it's not a 'brine'. I taught this to Wittdog a long time ago about smoking hardboiled eggs.........