brining and marinating chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouBBQ

Cook
I have a contest next weekend and am still trying to figure out chicken. I ususally only marinate in Italian dressing and apply a dry rub before smoking chicken thighs. I was thinking of brining this time. Has anyone ever brined then marinated then applied a dry rub before smoking chicken? Would this be too much?
Russ

I'll remeber to ask if you place higher than me. I plan to be up to my elbows in chicken experimentation this weekend if the rain ever stops.
Russ

I've spent my second summer working on it....getting
a good grasp but not competely finished...of course
my opinion may vary from the judges.

I tried it once..didnt work too well. Really jacked with the texture. Now was using a real strong short duration brine back in them days so coulda been the culprit in the matter. Was enough to make me give up on it.

bigwheel

I used to try everything with chicken as you guys have.........recently I've found cooking the chicken naked and then basting with a rub/sauce combo (bring the rub and sauce to a simmer prior to applying) towards the end have given me my best results.

Wouldn't brining and marinating cancel one of them out? that is, if you brine first, how can it absorb the marinade? vice versa if you marinade first?

Well got into a little scientific discussion with Joe Ames on a remotely related topic prior to his untimely demise. The question centered on brining coupled with injecting but would prob hold true with brining in combo with marinating too. Joe's view was brine first then inject..marinate or whutever your going to do. Otherwise the brine will drive the injection out of the meat..whilst the reverse routine should not be so inclined to act thataway. Anyway that the procedure I adopted on the injection. Guess if a person knew whut they was doing they could put the marinate in the brine and allow the brine to carry the marinate components on in internally so you could skip the injection. Might be something to work on. Say half a jug of eyetalian dressing per gallon of brine or something like that.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom