Brining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
What's the correct way to brine a turkey breast? Keep it tied together? Will the meat get salty? thanks. db

Well are you sure the turkey breastes in question aint already been brined at the factory? About 99/400 one hundreths has been. One I did for T Day was pumped to 18% or thereabouts. No use in brining that one I dont think. Give us some facts and figgers to work with here. Thanks.

bigwheel

Not a problem. I have brined some whole birds that were pumped (not to the 20% level) and its very easy to get them too salty dependent on the rub you use. Salty rub can kick it right over the edge if a person aint careful.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Not a problem. I have brined some whole birds that were pumped (not to the 20% level) and its very easy to get them too salty dependent on the rub you use. Salty rub can kick it right over the edge if a person aint careful.

bigwheel

Do you get the same result injecting vs. letting it sit in a brine?

Nick Prochilo said:
Just cook it. It's already pumped up with enough juice to keep it moist!

I agree. A 20% pumped bird/breast has plenty of 'added moisture' already. Brining, is redundant and basically a waste of time, because with that high of a percentage it's basically brined. Think of it like a sponge, if you put a wet sponge in a bowl, it's not going to absorb much water, put a dry sponge in the same bowl and it will absorb alot of the liquid.

It's HARD nowadays to find an 'unenhanced' turkey. If you want to brine, look for the lowest % turkey/breast (mostly the cheaper birds 'store brand') you can find, then brining will certainly be beneficial. If you find a totally all natural unprocessed bird, you'll be in even better shape. Look for something around 6% if you can't find one that is 100% unprocessed.

Thanks you guys. I kept thinkin when i opened up the package 2 tom breasts were going to fall out. Not the case. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom