Brined chicken question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Do any of you brine your chicken in saltwater overnight before you smoke/grill? Is it suppose to help salt penetrate the chicken and make it flavorful throughout or to make it jucier? Does this work? I seem to remember my mom doing this when she baked chicken when I was a kid.

Any ideas?

how many parts water to salt do you normally use? whats the process, do you heat it up to disolve the salt then stick the meat in then back in the fridge goes the meat and container with the brine?

I spray my chicken while I cook it ..... 25% water, 25% oil, 25% vinegar and 25% salt mixed in a spray bottle.

Shake bottle well and spray heavy every time you tend or turn the chicken.....

I brined chicken once overnight.... either I did something wrong.... or it's not a good thing to do.....wayyyyy too salty.

IN the last couple of months I have been brining more chicken than I would like to admit. The most important thing is to follow the ratio of salt to sugar to water that has already been posted. Then to make sure to rinse the brine off completely in fresh clean cold water.

Here is one of my favorite brine recipes and even though they list it for turkey it can be used for chicken as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 89,00.html

stupid question here but, why is it important to rinse the brine off, sometimes i forget to rinse it off :oops:

Diva Q said:
IN the last couple of months I have been brining more chicken than I would like to admit. The most important thing is to follow the ratio of salt to sugar to water that has already been posted. Then to make sure to rinse the brine off completely in fresh clean cold water.

Here is one of my favorite brine recipes and even though they list it for turkey it can be used for chicken as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 89,00.html

My wife says she wants a smoked turkey. How large is the best size or does it matter? What surface temp should I shoot for on the WSM?

Thanks for the link Uncle!

brian j said:
PantherTailgater said:
My wife says she wants a smoked turkey. How large is the best size or does it matter? What surface temp should I shoot for on the WSM?

Thanks for the link Uncle!
i like to use turkey in the 12 - 16 lb range for smoking and i cook them hot (>300f) so run your wsm wfo.

Thanks Brian. That's a good size anyway for group of 4-6 people.

Is everyone brining fresh chicken or do you brine enhanced chicken also. I would think that if you brine enhanced chicken you would shorten the brine time or adjust the salt content of the brine.

I have found that grilling enhanced chicken and cooking it until just a few degrees before done temps and letting it rest results in tender juicy chicken.

Interested in others thoughts and experiences with brining enhanced birds or not.

good observation Bruce...interested myself...just ordered a case
of fresh thighs to work with...may have something to say in a few weeks myself.

Back
Top Bottom