Brine + Ribs? Thoughts and Suggestions Please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craw,

Couple things to keep in mind. If you decide to brine:

1) When you buy yoiur ribs make sure you buy ribs that are NOT enhanced with a salt solution, they will say so on the label.

2) If you are using a dry rub, be careful of it's salt content. Brining plus salty rub could make finished product too salty.

3) Length of brine, IMHO you could go much longer than 1 hour. If it was me doing it for the first time, I'd start with 4 hours, if OK, next time overnight. Wouldn't go much longer than overnight though.

Got to agree with the majority of the other folks. If a person wants brined ribs all they got to do is go buy some pumped/enhanced models which seem to dominate the market place. They been pre-brined at the pig factory and there aint no use in being redundant all over again and re-brining them one mo time. Same goes for any other type of meat I can think of. Them food scientists who come up with the pumping recipes are purty sharp cookies. Think it be safe to say they most likely got a mo betta brine than we could concoct from scratch. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Got to agree with the majority of the other folks. If a person wants brined ribs all they got to do is go buy some pumped/enhanced models which seem to dominate the market place. They been pre-brined at the pig factory and there aint no use in being redundant all over again and re-brining them one mo time. Same goes for any other type of meat I can think of. Them food scientists who come up with the pumping recipes are purty sharp cookies. Think it be safe to say they most likely got a mo betta brine than we could concoct from scratch. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel

I doubt that! They pump their meat to protect it from the torture the "Average Home Cook" puts it through. A normal fresh cut of meat would be jerky by the time the "AHC" was done cooking it to an internal temperature far beyond the finish temperature. By pumping them, the "AHC" can cook the life out of the meat and it'll still be edible.

Brining yourself is the way to go in my opinion. You control everything that goes into the meat by brining yourself and it's far better than a pumped piece of meat. You control all the flavors you want to go into the meat as well as the salt content. You can add, spices, savory herbs, sugar, citrus juice, etc. that will change the whole flavor profile of the meat you're cooking. Something you will not get from a store bought pumped cut of meat.

Got to disagree with you on this one BigWheel. The pork manufacturers are using just a salt brine just to make it harder for backyard chefs :roll: and indoor cooks to dry out a piece of meat. It imparts no flavor, except salt. A lot of times the enhanced ribs also have nitrates in them which can give them that hammy flavor.

Brining is a good opportunity to add flavor to the meat as well as adding moisture. ;)

Captain Morgan said:
I always thought they did it so they can charge meat prices for
salt water. (saw one over the weekend that said 17 %!!!!)

Probably that too Cappy! Good point!

wittdog said:
I don't care for brined stuff...changes the texture of the meat...Just my .00002

I gotta agree with Witt on this. I tried it a few time with chops . The flavor was pretty good but the texture was completely differeny.

cflatt said:
wittdog said:
I don't care for brined stuff...changes the texture of the meat...Just my .00002

I gotta agree with Witt on this. I tried it a few time with chops . The flavor was pretty good but the texture was completely differeny.
Finally some one agrees with me... [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=a_happygolucky.gif] ;)

wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:

Finally some one agrees with me... [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=a_happygolucky.gif] ;)

Thank God you don't brine eggs! [smilie=drink.gif]

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:

What do you call soaking them for 4 days :D

Well yall continue to remind me of my old cuz James Robert Wheeler. When we was kids..his folks..my aunt and uncle.. bought him books and sent him off to East Ward School down at Graham...and whut did he do? Yeppers you guessed it. Instead of reading the books and doing his work..he chewed on the book covers. The reason the food processors are so keen on pumping meat is because in additin to increasing the yields it makes for a superior product. Now aint never found any pumped beef which was worth a flip..but as far as I can tell thats about the only exception. Have heard rumors of certain enhanced dead fish which has been over phosphated too just to be fair..but since I dont eat much of that stuff it dont have much effect on me. Let us get real here.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:

What do you call soaking them for 4 days :D

A rinse?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom