Brine + Ribs? Thoughts and Suggestions Please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2pxptng2]
wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:
I don't care for brined stuff...changes the texture of the meat...Just my .00002

I gotta agree with Witt on this. I tried it a few time with chops . The flavor was pretty good but the texture was completely differeny.
Finally some one agrees with me... [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=a_happygolucky.gif] ;)

Thank God you don't brine eggs! [smilie=drink.gif]
What do you call soaking them for 4 days :D

A rinse?[/quote:2pxptng2]
Pickled ;)

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:
I don't care for brined stuff...changes the texture of the meat...Just my .00002

I gotta agree with Witt on this. I tried it a few time with chops . The flavor was pretty good but the texture was completely differeny.
Finally some one agrees with me... [smilie=eek2.gif] [smilie=a_happygolucky.gif] ;)

I was kidding!!!! Stick your head in Buford for a few minutes!! :LOL:

bigwheel said:
Well yall continue to remind me of my old cuz James Robert Wheeler. When we was kids..his folks..my aunt and uncle.. bought him books and sent him off to East Ward School down at Graham...and whut did he do? Yeppers you guessed it. Instead of reading the books and doing his work..he chewed on the book covers. The reason the food processors are so keen on pumping meat is because in additin to increasing the yields it makes for a superior product. Now aint never found any pumped beef which was worth a flip..but as far as I can tell thats about the only exception. Have heard rumors of certain enhanced dead fish which has been over phosphated too just to be fair..but since I dont eat much of that stuff it dont have much effect on me. Let us get real here.

bigwheel

BW, you're losing points brother........................

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2k9ogx96]
wittdog said:
cflatt said:
wittdog said:

I was kidding!!!! Stick your head in Buford for a few minutes!! :LOL:[/quote:2k9ogx96]
I knew you were kidding and I really did LOL when I read your post....I stuck my head in Buford yesterday while seasoning him....loves the smell of smoke

Well there is brines and then there is brines. There are a lot of stinker brine recipes floating around in cyberspace which do jack with the texture very effectually..especially when it come to highly delicate things such as bird flesh. Now how anybody could come up with a brine which could mess up the texture of pork chops..I aint got a clue. Musta put a little battery acid in that one:)

bigwheel

cflatt said:
wittdog said:

bigwheel said:
Well there is brines and then there is brines. There are a lot of stinker brine recipes floating around in cyberspace which do jack with the texture very effectually..especially when it come to highly delicate things such as bird flesh. Now how anybody could come up with a brine which could mess up the texture of pork chops..I aint got a clue. Musta put a little battery acid in that one:)

bigwheel

cflatt said:
wittdog said:

Now I know this is hard to believe, but I have to agree with BW here. I brine my pork chops all the time now and the texture doesn't chane but they sure do come out moist.

Well tried to respond to this one already but thanks to the efforts of either internet gremlins or over heated moderators it did not seem to make it through. The gist of the response was similar to this. I tried unpumped ribs in comp for two years w/o a hint of success. When I happen to move over to pumped ribs..things got much mo betta rapidly. Hopefully this will not offend any political correct sensibilities or cyber leprechauns.

bigwheel

[quote="Larry Wolfe[/quote]

BW, you're losing points brother........................[/quote]

bigwheel said:
Well tried to respond to this one already but thanks to the efforts of either internet gremlins or over heated moderators it did not seem to make it through. The gist of the response was similar to this. I tried unpumped ribs in comp for two years w/o a hint of success. When I happen to move over to pumped ribs..things got much mo betta rapidly. Hopefully this will not offend any political correct sensibilities or cyber leprechauns.

bigwheel

[quote="Larry Wolfe

BW, you're losing points brother........................[/quote][/quote]

Pumped ribs suck, there's no other way to put it. Not discounting your cooking whatsoever BW, but if you had Judges score pumped ribs highly then they shouldn't be judging. The texture of pumped ribs is mushy and falling off the bone and they taste nothing like a fresh rib should taste. They taste like ham!

Well the finished texture of hawg bones is generally a function of the cooking...not a built in feature of the rib dependent on whether they was pumped or unpumped. Its real easy to get tough and chewy pumped ribs if thats whut a person desires. By the same token unpumped ribs can be turned falling apart and mushy if that be the goal. Now the hammy flavor I aint particularly noticed but since most folks love ham maybe that is why the pumped ribs make it into the winners circle mo often than their unpumped brethrens. Highest compliment which can usually be paid to a cooked rib is to proclaim.."That taste like bacon on a stick." So maybe you tasting bacon as opposed to ham. I cant imagine a resident of Ole Virginny who claim to not like the flavor of ham. That might could get a person lynched around Lynchburg:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well the finished texture of hawg bones is generally a function of the cooking...not a built in feature of the rib dependent on whether they was pumped or unpumped. Its real easy to get tough and chewy pumped ribs if thats whut a person desires. By the same token unpumped ribs can be turned falling apart and mushy if that be the goal. Now the hammy flavor I aint particularly noticed but since most folks love ham maybe that is why the pumped ribs make it into the winners circle mo often than their unpumped brethrens. Highest compliment which can usually be paid to a cooked rib is to proclaim.."That taste like bacon on a stick." So maybe you tasting bacon as opposed to ham. I cant imagine a resident of Ole Virginny who claim to not like the flavor of ham. That might could get a person lynched around Lynchburg:)

bigwheel

I agree about the texture, both can be screwed up by the cooking process if done improperly or too long!

If someone told me my ribs tasted like ham or bacon, I'd shoot myself in the head.

Don't get me wrong I love ham, especially Virginia hams. If I want to taste ham, I'll eat ham. If I want to taste a good rack of ribs I'll cook ribs! But I don't wanna cook ribs and have them taste like ham or bacon!

BRINING RIBS IS WRONG

heh

It seems a heresy like parboiling. But IF I were to try it it would be for a short duration, like 1-2 hours.

Dunno why I say this.

I used to never give it a second thought. I would go to the grocer and pick up a cryovac pack of Hormel ribs, or whatever. Not even noticing the enchancement done to them. I always got raves from folks who ate them but I never personally really liked my own pork ribs. HMMM.. quite an eye opener. Next ribs will be from a butcher , I can't seem to locate anything else commercialy available locally. It will be worth the extra costs to find out.

Green Hornet said:
I used to never give it a second thought. I would go to the grocer and pick up a cryovac pack of Hormel ribs, or whatever. Not even noticing the enchancement done to them. I always got raves from folks who ate them but I never personally really liked my own pork ribs. HMMM.. quite an eye opener. Next ribs will be from a butcher , I can't seem to locate anything else commercialy available locally. It will be worth the extra costs to find out.

GH; if you have a Sam's Club or Costco down your way they sell unenhanced meat at their stores. The only place I buy meat anymore.

Yeppers..as the old adage goes..you can lead a hoss to water but you cant make him drink. Yall continueth to chew on the book covers.

bigwheel

Based on what I am reading here....If a novice were to stumble upon this thread, he would boil his enhanced ribs in brine, then wrap them in foil with some of the boiling juice, and then put them on the smoker.

Anyway, from what I have read about brining is that it is a very similar process to making ham. It does change the structure of the protein. making it somewhat softer.

It was started when pork producers began growing hogs with very little fat. This produced a product that was not very appealing. The American public was starting to become heart heath concious and wanted to reduce the amount of fat eaten. Pork used to be much fattier and much tastier that it is today. The pork producers were not selling pork. Enhancing the pork made it SEEM tender even though there was very little fat. Enhancing brought back the tenderness by softened the meat and the pork producers started making tons and tons of $$$$$$$$$

Al

Back
Top Bottom