Bottom Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Nice Puff! Whats the pit beef rub?

2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Puff that's the same recipe I was gonna give you. It's in BBQ USA, pretty good.

That's how I do pit beef...except I use top round (traditional cut for pit beef) for the meat.

Looked good Puffbuddy! 8)

Chuckwagoncook said:
Looks good puff, how was the white sauce you used on it? I have wanted to try it on chicken, but never have. Food looks great, some day I may have to stop by the Van by the detroit river... :D :D :D
Seems to be alot of good Q coming from that van.
The White sauce is very good on chicken..it's a nice change of pace....Cook the chicken with a little s&p and when the chicken is done dredge it in the white sauce reseve some for dipping...

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1gyrrbb8]Nice Puff! Whats the pit beef rub?

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Puff that's the same recipe I was gonna give you. It's in BBQ USA, pretty good.[/quote:1gyrrbb8]
That is one book I gots to buy ;)

wittdog said:
Chuckwagoncook said:
Looks good puff, how was the white sauce you used on it? I have wanted to try it on chicken, but never have. Food looks great, some day I may have to stop by the Van by the detroit river... :D :D :D
The White sauce is very good on chicken..it's a nice change of pace....Cook the chicken with a little s&p and when the chicken is done dredge it in the white sauce reseve some for dipping...

That white sauce is just begging for some chipotles. Hmm I have some. ...Thanks Wit :)

ScottyDaQ said:
wittdog said:
Chuckwagoncook said:

That white sauce is just begging for some chipotles. Hmm I have some. ...Thanks Wit :)
Scotty u are a super genius(In the Wiley E Coyote voice)

I wouldn't go for the low and slow on a smoker....but you can cook it on a smoker at a higher temp....say 275-300* I've done them like that and they are delicous...

Nice lookin hunk o meat Puffy boy....yeah, slice that thinner if you're gonna make sammiches....anyway you slice it I bet it was goooood 8)

If memory serves me right, I think I pulled it at 150ish. Closer to 160.
I usually like medium rare, but this came out medium well.
Rested it for 30min. Thanks for pulling this one up Rath, I think it's about time for another one ;)

By the way I have this Molar that's driving me nuts!

Seen some whopper sized bottom rounds on sale at Tom Thumb today for .99 lb. Select grade but about as cheap as I ever seen em...maybe grab one tomorrow. Aint cooked one but once before when I was trying to make some stuff called Baltimore Pit Beef..which that actually called for top round but bottom was all I could find on that occasion. It do tend to be a bit chewy and cutting it paper think on the commercial slicer helps a bunch. Did a little taste testing at the grocery store where the lady sliced it up for me and it was generally agreed for sandwiches they liked it cold better than hot. I will post the recipe if I can find it. Now will tell a secret...if you gonna make sandwiches out of do not follow the yankee directions for whut goes on there with it.

bigwheel

Yep, use top round.

Traditionally Pit Beef is cooked over direct heat... but with the beef greatly elevated from the coals. If you have one (and everyone should)... Use a WSM with no water pan and cook the meat on the top rack. ;)

Rath said:
Thanks for the info guys. Going to try this today!

Rath (pit beef'n it)
Don't forget the pics...and mix up some of that white sauce..what does BW know anyway...he's from Texus they don't know about beef...do they :D

I've made the pit beef and really enjoyed it. Imho, the
horseysauce and onion are essential.

I think I've got a file at home with some research I did on it
a couple of years ago. I'll look for it.

Captain Morgan said:
I've made the pit beef and really enjoyed it. Imho, the
horseysauce and onion are essential.

I think I've got a file at home with some research I did on it
a couple of years ago. I'll look for it.
Damn a file on Pitbeef and horseysauce....you really are the Darling of the Q

ok, here's what's in my file..

BALTIMORE PIT BEEF SANDWICH
Adapted from Big Fat Daddy's
Time: 1 hour, plus 3 hours' to 3 days' marinating

For the rub:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (maybe add some carraway seed if using the kaiser rolls)

For the sandwich:
1 3-pound piece top round
8 kaiser rolls or 16 slices of rye bread
Horseradish sauce (see recipe)
1 sweet white onion, sliced thin
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced thin (optional)
Iceburg lettuce (optional).

1. Combine ingredients for the rub in a bowl, and mix. Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons all over the beef,
patting it in. Place in a baking dish, and cover with plastic wrap. You can cover the beef with the rub
for a few hours, but for maximum flavor, leave it for 3 days in the refrigerator, turning once a day.

2. Prepare a hot grill. Grill beef 30 to 40 minutes, or until outside is crusty and dark brown and internal
temperature is about 120 degrees (for rare). Turn beef often. Transfer to a cutting board; let it rest 5 minutes.

3. Slice beef thinly across grain. Pile beef high on a roll or bread slathered with horseradish sauce.
Garnish with onions, tomatoes and sliced lettuce. Serve.

Yield: 8 sandwiches.

HORSERADISH SAUCE
Adapted from Big Fat Daddy's
Time: 3 minutes

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared white horseradish, or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Combine ingredients in a bowl, and whisk to mix. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

How to Say Barbecue in Baltimore
By STEVEN RAICHLEN

Pit beef is Baltimore's version of barbecue: beef grilled crusty on the outside, rare and juicy inside and heaped high on a sandwich. Several things make it distinctive in the realm of American barbecue.

For starters, pit beef is grilled, not smoked, so it lacks the heavy hickory or mesquite flavor characteristic of Texas- or Kansas City-style barbecue. It is also ideally served rare, which would be unthinkable for a Texas-style brisket. Baltimore pit bosses use top round, not brisket, and to make this flavorful but tough cut of beef tender, they shave it paper-thin on a meat slicer.

Then there's the bread: the proper way to serve pit beef is on a kaiser roll or, more distinctively, on rye bread. The caraway seeds in the rye reflect the Eastern European ancestry of many Baltimoreans in this part of town and add an aromatic, earthy flavor to the beef.

Finally, there is the sauce. No ketchup, brown sugar and liquid smoke, as you would find in Kansas City. No Texas-style chili hellfire or piquant vinegar sauces in the style of North Carolina. The proper condiment for Baltimore pit beef is horseradish sauce -- as much as you can bear without crying. And speaking of crying, you need slices of crisp, pungent white onion to make the sandwich complete.

If perfection lies in attention to detail, the details distinguish Big Fat Daddy's from the other pit beef emporiums. Mr. Schafer rubs his beef with a tangy mixture of seasoned salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and paprika, and he lets the meat sit in the rub for three days. (Most Baltimore pit beef is grilled without all this.) When he makes a sandwich, he takes the time to slice a few burnt edges (the charred crust) to mix with the rare beef, thus adding smoke, crunch and flavor.

Most pit beef places serve bottled prepared horseradish, but Mr. Schafer makes his own sauce, a rich, creamy confection of horseradish and mayonnaise.

The only real challenge is slicing the beef thin enough. If you have a meat slicer, you will have no problem. If not, a thin-slicing disc on a food processor will do the trick. Cut the roast in pieces small enough to fit into the feed tube. Or, just slice the meat as thin as possible by hand, then chop it with a cleaver.

The recipe here will give you eight two-fisted sandwiches. The rub is based on the seasoning mix used at Big Fat Daddy's. Lettuce and tomatoes are optional.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom