Bone temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I have always heard that a meat temp probe should not touch the bone or a false reading will be displayed. The idea is that bone conducts heat faster than the meat. BUT, went digging into under cooked meat, the rawest is always tight against the bone. It can't be both ways. What's the deal????

Well first I ever hear of the bone conducting heat theory. In real life it works like proposition 2 which means meat is mo betta at conducting heat than is bone. The closer to the bone the sweeter the meat. Or least I heard folks say that a lot. Bound to be right. Wonder if there be any way to test that theory?

bigwheel

Ok, I did a test. The leg of Lamb cooked on the WSM yesterday was just near done when I probed it all over with an instant reading thermometer. As expected the higher temps were towards the outside. The coolest temp were against the bone.
From here on, I'll push a guru or Maverick probe up against deep bone for the best reading point.

(sigh) depends on the balance of the thehematopoietic tissue and yellow marrow (consisting mainly of fat cells) and the particular cell structure of the bone at the time... I mean come on, it all boils down to fibroblasts, macrophages, adipocytes, asteoblasts, osteoclasts, and endothelial cells forming the sinusoids....etc, etc, etc ....Geeeez !

Sometimes I wonder why I still visit this site. :roll:

(too long...didn't read?......just cook your friggin meat, eat it and be happy!) :LOL: :P :P :P

Well not sure about this external bone temp stuff for butts . Seems like it would be most prudent to drill a hole in the bone then poke the gauge in the hole. That should work. Now lazy non scientifucal folks could just wait for the bone to cough itself out when it gets a gentle tug with the tongs. That should work too.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom