Blue Crabs for the Grill - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
oompappy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finger Lakes NY
Posts: 665
Blue Crabs for the Grill

If you've ever tried to cook live crabs on the grill you know it can be
a pain to keep them where you want them. It can also be messy at
the table having to deal with the gills and guts especially for folks
that don't eat crabs often.
I clean them just before cooking. It takes a little practice to do without
getting pinched but it's worth it.
To clean, you first tear off the "tail". Then make a tiny cut in the shell
just above both backfin flippers being careful not to cut into the meat.
Pull the shell off the body, pull off the mouth parts, pick off the gills and rinse out the guts with
the hose, Lightly.
I just spinkle with a little Old Bay and set them on the covered grill
indirect for a couple minutes till they just turn red. Don't overcook or you'll dry them right out.
You could probably sprinkle with your favorite shrimp marinade
instead of Old Bay but I havn't tried that yet!
Here's some Pics.....

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs1

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs2

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs3
__________________

__________________
Oompappy's Page...
oompappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
I have the same problem trying to cook a live hog in the smoker. It is horrible listening to em thrash for the first 10 hours!!!!
__________________

__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Looks great pappy! I never thought of doing those on the grill, I'll have to try it some time!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Man! Been a while since I had Blue Crab! They sure look good!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
txpgapro's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Whitney, TX
Posts: 546
I wonder if sand crab turn out the same? :lmao:
__________________
Fairway's & Green's Pard'!
Mike (Miguel Carlos)

"The more I'm around some people, the more I like my dog."--Sonny Burgess
txpgapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
Wow... AOL must hate Firefox/Mozilla. Page comes up in binary!

ÿØÿ*ÿØÿ*%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcde
fghijstuvwxyzƒ„…*‡ˆ‰*’“
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Re: Blue Crabs for the Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompappy
If you've ever tried to cook live crabs on the grill you know it can be
a pain to keep them where you want them. It can also be messy at
the table having to deal with the gills and guts especially for folks
that don't eat crabs often.
I clean them just before cooking. It takes a little practice to do without
getting pinched but it's worth it.
To clean, you first tear off the "tail". Then make a tiny cut in the shell
just above both backfin flippers being careful not to cut into the meat.
Pull the shell off the body, pull off the mouth parts, pick off the gills and rinse out the guts with
the hose, Lightly.
I just spinkle with a little Old Bay and set them on the covered grill
indirect for a couple minutes till they just turn red. Don't overcook or you'll dry them right out.
You could probably sprinkle with your favorite shrimp marinade
instead of Old Bay but I havn't tried that yet!
Here's some Pics.....

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs1

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs2

http://members.aol.com/oompappy/crabs3
I cannot believe anyone would "clean" a blue crab prior to cooking! I am sorry, that's just wrong! 8-[
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
txpgapro's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Whitney, TX
Posts: 546
Nice and blue - you guys are missing a lesson in color. :lmao:
__________________
Fairway's & Green's Pard'!
Mike (Miguel Carlos)

"The more I'm around some people, the more I like my dog."--Sonny Burgess
txpgapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've never heard of cleaning blue crab before cooking either, butt, they sure do look gooood!!

There's no indicator (suffix??) on the links to indicate what a browser should do with it...Yeah, AOL hates the world!!

Here's one of the pics:



Hope you don't mind pappy..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
The site is using some lamo CSS that defines the http protocol to be some stupid "htdirp" class. Yeah...that's W3 compliant. NOT!

Not your fault ... It just ticks Geeks/Nerds ... like me ... Off!
[-X [-X [-X [-X
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 5,564
OK. I've never seen a blue crab in my life. Are they really that color? What's the problem with cleaning them before cooking?

Griff
__________________
Griff
Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #12
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Pappy,
I'm sure the crabs turned out great. I was just busting your chops about cleaning them prior to cooking. When I lived in NC, alot of people did them the way you do them, as well as boiling them.

Here's how we eat them up here!



Griff,
Here's a pick of the blue crab. IMO, cleaning the crab prior to cooking just takes somethng away from the sweetness of the crab. And the experience of sitting down and picking a picnic table full of hot steamed crabs, covered with Old Bay and a cold beer.

__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDaQ
The site is using some lamo CSS that defines the http protocol to be some stupid "htdirp" class. Yeah...that's W3 compliant. NOT!
Not your fault ... It just ticks Geeks/Nerds ... like me ... Off!
[-X [-X [-X [-X
Are these words from the English language?
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDaQ
The site is using some lamo CSS that defines the http protocol to be some stupid "htdirp" class. Yeah...that's W3 compliant. NOT!
Not your fault ... It just ticks Geeks/Nerds ... like me ... Off!
[-X [-X [-X [-X
Are these words from the English language?
LOL! I got everything except "htdirp"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #15
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
oompappy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finger Lakes NY
Posts: 665
Larry,
I like them steamed in a pot the way you do them too!! (see Larry's recipe in the seafood section.) I pretty much only clean them for the grill.
I take the Weber Smokey Joe everywhere I travel and when I go to the Eastern Shore no sea creature is safe. If they are legal size, of course!

Scotty,
Sorry to "tick off" any geek nerds with the links. Do you think if I added the suffix (.jpg) to the file name on the link that would help? Sometimes AOL just acts goofy.
__________________
Oompappy's Page...
oompappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #16
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompappy
Larry,
I like them steamed in a pot the way you do them too!! (see Larry's recipe in the seafood section.) I pretty much only clean them for the grill.
I take the Weber Smokey Joe everywhere I travel and when I go to the Eastern Shore no sea creature is safe. If they are legal size, of course!

Scotty,
Sorry to "tick off" any geek nerds with the links. Do you think if I added the suffix (.jpg) to the file name on the link that would help? Sometimes AOL just acts goofy.
Pappy,
To be fair, I'll have to give your way a shot one day.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompappy
Scotty,
Sorry to "tick off" any geek nerds with the links. Do you think if I added the suffix (.jpg) to the file name on the link that would help? Sometimes AOL just acts goofy.
Nope. It's nothing you did...you didn't tick me off AOL did. It's AOL all the way. They coded in a file called a CSS or Cascaded Style Sheet. It gives them a way of defining the look of a page. Usually CSS's give an author an easy way of making web pages look a certain way. It doesn't appear that they checked this one out before the made it global.
I used to be a "Community Leader" / Staff for AOL. They don't give a shit about the real internet...they just want to make sure everything works when using their software. They know they've cornered the market on simple to use ISP's... and it's really sad.

I didn't mean to insinuate it was your fault.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #18
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 791
the links worked fine for me, IE on XP PRO SP2
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #19
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn White
the links worked fine for me, IE on XP PRO SP2
Yup... depends on the browser, it's version, and the fixpacks you have for Winblows. AOL uses IE as their inline browser.
__________________

__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×