Black Walnut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Has anyone used Black Walnut for smoking? Can you use black walnut? It is a hard wood, very hard. I have a guy at work that want's to give me some.

I try it on something cheap so you dont feel bad if you ruin it. I also dont see why you could not. It burns well.

Chris

wittdog said:
Has anyone used Black Walnut for smoking? Can you use black walnut? It is a hard wood, very hard. I have a guy at work that want's to give me some.
A guy at work wants to give you some hard what......?
Man those cooks you did really paid off :eek:

Puff said:
wittdog said:
Man those cooks you did really paid off

:eek:
[-X What you are suffering from is called projection, you are projecting your innermost feelings and projecting them unto me. :lmao: Not that I'm judging you. It's ok to like wood, really hard wood. :razz:

wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:

[-X What you are suffering from is called projection, you are projecting your innermost feelings and projecting them unto me. :lmao: Not that I'm judging you. It's ok to like wood, really hard wood. :razz:
:lmao:
Sorry bro', been a long day, no "hard" feelings :!: :taunt:

Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:

It's cool. It was all in good fun. You know they make something to take care of your "no hard feelings". I think it's a blue pill you'll have to ask some of our more senior members about it. Hopefully this won't get censored.

wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:

It's cool. It was all in good fun. You know they make something to take care of your "no hard feelings". I think it's a blue pill you'll have to ask some of our more senior members about it. Hopefully this won't get censored.
I know the pill :)
And we are way.......off topic, here it comes.......duck :eep: :hide:

What do you expect in a thread about Black Walnut, and I started it maybe we can get to 9 pages........... :hide:

wittdog said:
My Black Walnut is Bigger than yours....... : :eek:fftop:
Man we are crusin' for a bruisin', they must be asleep :eek:
:rules: :rules: :eek:fftop:
Your'e tryin' to get me in trouble aren't ya' #-o

Gentlemen, having a good time are we?

Back to the Black Walnut issue, while it is a hardwood, it is not considered a good wood for BBQ'ing. While not toxic, it is very high in tannins and can emit an aroma one might find offensive.

Black Walnut is highly prized and worth some money to woodworkers who have the talent to turn it into utilitarian needs. Makes beautiful gun stocks, and other small furniture pieces. Sell the wood and buy that Klose.

Bruce B said:
Gentlemen, having a good time are we?

Back to the Black Walnut issue, while it is a hardwood, it is not considered a good wood for BBQ'ing. While not toxic, it is very high in tannins and can emit an aroma one might find offensive.

Black Walnut is highly prized and worth some money to woodworkers who have the talent to turn it into utilitarian needs. Makes beautiful gun stocks, and other small furniture pieces. Sell the wood and buy that Klose.

Well that's good to know! Thanks Bruce.

BLACK WALNUT - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter wood like hickory or mesquite. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Here's another opinion I found on the FAQ of BBQ on the Internet. What I stated earlier were opinions from several people over on the BBQ Forum. MMy opinion though is, if Hickory and Mesquite are considered milder woods to Walnut, it must be really strong.

You might want to try it, it's only a hunk of meat.

If that guy gives me some I’ll probably give it a shot. Start with a small amount on red meat. For my preference Hickory is almost to mild at times. I use mesquite very sparingly. But that is my preference I typically use hickory, and apple or cherry. I have some sugar maple I’ve been waiting to try.

As I said, there are opinions out there on both sides, some say it's OK, others say not, so I guess it's buyer beware. Good Luck, we'll have EMS on stand-by. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom