Bison Brisket 7-5-2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the link Dollarbill. That site is great, Yak, Kangaroo and Llama. I may need to head out there. THe place my buddy told me about has a fair selection but nothing like that. Its weird going through that list and seeing all on one page the different animals I have eaten over the years. The only one I did not see was Iguana which we had in Playa del Carmen Mexico in 1984 .

bknox said:
Griff, It was not tough at all. I am a bit surprised as well as it seems from the response that it should of been. Maybe I just got lucky, but I typically cook beef to be about 160 internal no matter how big of a chunk unless I am not paying attention and it gets away from me. Same for most pork.

Bryan, typically for a beef brisket cut, chuck roast, pork butt, etc. (typical tough fatty cuts) the fat, connective tissues, collagen, etc., begin to break down and render beginning around 160-165, which is what makes them tender. And they're typically done in 190-200 degree range.

I've never cooked a bison brisket, but have been eating alot of ground bison lately and want to give it a try soon, so I can't really speak for cooking a bison brisket. So it could be a totally different animal (pun intended) when cooking. I'm on vacation in OC MD, but have 4 days when I get back, so I will try to pick up a bison brisket during that time! You've inspired me.

BTW, what part of VA were you in? You should have stopped by my house, I wasn't there but you could have stopped by. :mrgreen:

Larry,
We were in Waynesboro for about 5 days. Next time I am going to try and have some extra time to see some people, that's for sure.

I think the next time I cook bison I am going to be shooting for a higher internal temp as it seems to be what will make it better. As I know you enjoy the bison burgers I also know you are in for a treat with the brisket. It's nice to know why there should be a higher temp as I enjoy rare meat but I also like to know that it could be better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom