Birsket?? I just started doing my pork butts fat side down,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
now I am wondering should I do my brisket (whole, point & flat) fat side down? Any thoughts??

any rule of thumb on time? I think it is around 20lbs? but I can't remember I want to serve around 8 pm, would 10 hrs be enough? 12? (@225)
Any good ideas on injections? I've been watching Myron, but I don't think he is in my calling circle! (kidding)

img_211694_0_70aeec7d01ef1897e1c8d7850b1b5f04.jpg

I'm not that experienced but everything I've heard on briskets says fat side up. I've also heard it's one to one and a quarter hours per pound at temps between 220 and 250. Bigwheel seems to be the one to contact on this.

At 225 I don't think it matters much Re fat side up or down. JMO. At high heat, when I cook in the 325-350 range, I think fat down is best to protect the meat side from drying. I only cook brisket flats and use a WSM, but you are looking at many more than 10 hours at 225 for a large packer, many more. I'd estimate about 1 - 1.25 hours per pound, at least

Well gots to agree with all them smart folks above. A 20 pound brisket at 225 on a typical pit should be done sometime next week:) On brisket fat side is always down cuz it hard to mop fat and it do not develop much bark. On butts it shouldnt have a fat side cuz it shoulda done been cut off and throwed in the trash prior to working your prep magic on it. There is still plenty of fat inside one of them thangs to cook itself 3 times over. Anywhere between 250-325 works for me on either critter chunk. Person get down in the lowish 200's is guilty of trying to "warm it to death." Least that whut my old pal Big Jim Whitten from down in Floriddy always say to them advocating low temps. Now if your cooking a bunch of meat on a commercial pit (Oyler Ole Hickory Southern Pride etc) and aint pressed for time 185 works just fine. Put it on afore you leave work and it be ready about lunch the next day. You can eat it with a spoon if you want.

bigwheel

I trim my butts up pretty good because there should be enough fat on the inside to keep it moist. Fat cap up or down on briskets is an ongoing debate, and a matter of personal preference. I'll trim it up to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and cook it fat cap down to act as a heat diffuser on my vertical smoker.

If you're looking to make an injection in a pinch, this works well..

2 Cups beef broth
1/4 Cup Worcestershire
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne

When I do pork butts, I leave the fat on because after sitting on the grate for 12 hours it will stay there when I run my oversized spatula under the butt to pick it up.

surfinsapo said:
Do the whole thing fat and all....

I agree, I don't trim briskets until after they're cooked.

Cliff H. said:
When I do pork butts, I leave the fat on because after sitting on the grate for 12 hours it will stay there when I run my oversized spatula under the butt to pick it up.

Same here, better that the fat sticks than the meat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom