Big Brisket question - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Wizard of Que

Big Brisket question

I have a 10.5 lb. brisket on the cooker and have managed to keep the temp somewhere between 216 degress and 230 ish degrees. I am using an unmodified Chargriller and a side smoker box.

First off the cut was labeled "Bola De Res". I bought it at my nearest local market where I trust the meat and it is a Spanish Market. Maybe someone can translate this for me. I was told it was a brisket but it is rounder than what I have traditionally purchased.

What I am planning on doing is when it is done, wrapping it in foil and placing it in a cooler to rest for an hour.

Anyway what internal temp am I shooting for. My old meat thermometer says 170 is done. Is this the internal temp I need. I know with pork butt the 'done temp' is 160 ish but normally when I cook a butt the temp is higher as the meat is in the heat for so long.

I quess what I am asking is do I take it out at 170 degrees or do I shoot for longer times and possibly higher temps.

Also should I be basting it?

If none of this makes sense feel free to ask questions. I have a while before I reach 170.

Find Us on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/knoxspice
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Cooker

While I am still the new kid on the block by most standards, but here is what I would do personally...

Once the meat hits 165, I personally would double wrap it in foil with about a cup or so of apple juice. Then, monitor it until it hits about 190. Remove from the heat, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then let it rest for 1 to 3 hours.

Save the drippings from the foil wrap to dribble over the slices when you are cutting.

-Chiles

Always learning...

Twin 65, 45, 25 and 10 gallon antique cast iron Brunswick Stew pots
TEC Infrared Grill
Route 1 Smokers custom Rotisserie smoker.
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Wizard of Que

That sounds like a plan. I would not have thought of apple juice with beef. You are suggesting apple juice for beef? I am game especially if you do it this way.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Cooker

I was told to use apple juice by an old pro and can say that I was really happy with the results. One and a half cups is just enough to keep the meat moist and mix with the natural flavorings to produce a sweet broth inside the foil. By the way, that is why I double or even tripple wrap, I don't want any of that juice getting away becuase I am going to use it for re-heating.

Remember, I am a newby, and am learning as I go, but this advice certainly worked really well for me.

-Chiles
Twin 65, 45, 25 and 10 gallon antique cast iron Brunswick Stew pots
TEC Infrared Grill
Route 1 Smokers custom Rotisserie smoker.
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Big Brisket question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox
I have a 10.5 lb. brisket on the cooker and have managed to keep the temp somewhere between 216 degress and 230 ish degrees. I am using an unmodified Chargriller and a side smoker box.

First off the cut was labeled "Bola De Res". I bought it at my nearest local market where I trust the meat and it is a Spanish Market. Maybe someone can translate this for me. I was told it was a brisket but it is rounder than what I have traditionally purchased.

What I am planning on doing is when it is done, wrapping it in foil and placing it in a cooler to rest for an hour.

Anyway what internal temp am I shooting for. My old meat thermometer says 170 is done. Is this the internal temp I need. I know with pork butt the 'done temp' is 160 ish but normally when I cook a butt the temp is higher as the meat is in the heat for so long.

I quess what I am asking is do I take it out at 170 degrees or do I shoot for longer times and possibly higher temps.

Also should I be basting it?

If none of this makes sense feel free to ask questions. I have a while before I reach 170.
Bola De Res translates into Ball of Animal.

Post a pic of the meat out of the wrapper Bryan so we can see what it is.

If it is a brisket you can cook it two ways. #1 Cook between 225-250*, any lower is not necessary and you'll be cooking it forever and will take a chance or drying it out. Cook until you get an internal temp of 185* and try to slide a thermometer probe into the meat in several different spots. If it slides in with little resistance, double wrap it in foil and let rest 1-2 hours then open the foil and let cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing and slice against the grain. If there is resistance when inserting the probe, continue to cook and check every 5 degrees until you can insert the probe and it goes in like butter. Method #2, cook unfoiled until you get an internal temp of 165*, then foil and continue to cook following the same instructions above. Good luck, hope this helps!

PS, adding liquid is perfectly fine and a matter of choice. I don't do it because IMO it turns the brisket into more of a pot roast versus BBQ.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox
That sounds like a plan. I would not have thought of apple juice with beef. You are suggesting apple juice for beef? I am game especially if you do it this way.
I like Dr. Pepper. It's a Texas thang. Where's Wheeler when you need him?

Jack
Old 09-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Wizard of Que

Here is what I am cooking Larry.

I have only lived in the Cicero area since last October and quickly realized I should learn Spanish. Most of the markets I like are all Spanish but the guys at the meat couter generally do not speak English and the cuts are different than I was used to where we used to live.

Anyway, it does not look like the briskets I am used to but hopefully will be just as good. It is more of a "Ball" than the thick on one end cut I normally would call 'Brisket'.

"Ball of animal" soumds like the last rabbit I hit.

I think I am going to pass on the apple juice for now although I think it would be excellent with pork and think I have seen other BBQ Central members do this with butts.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Web Celeb

Holy cripes...that don't look like no brisket to me!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Wizard of Que

How about it!!

It was in a thick plastic shrink bag and I thought maybe it would look more like a brisket when I unwrapped it. I was wrong.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Wizard of Que

Should I be basting this beast?