better info on getting into the sauce biz...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
All numbers are not exact and your situation will probably vary. Just something to look at:

first batch run of 150 gals-$1700,this includes bottles and sauce

40,000 lables-$1600, just what I ordered last time. Smaller orders probably about .06-.09 per label.

$1,000,000.00 product liability insurance- $400.00 year

UPC code-$1,000, thats how much it was 5 years ago. It is a couple hundred a year after that. But you get 100 UPC's

$300 shipping to your house.

$100.00 Nutritional facts, usually the agriculture school in your state will do this for you, there is an exemption if your sales per year are under a certain amount. Google will probably tell you about the exemption.

label design- I got mine for a case of sauce. Patrick @bbqlogo's would probably be $200-$400

Total is $5500.00 with 40,000 labels for roughly 180 cases

Now the exciting part, I spent almost $10,000 in advertising the first 8 months. Free sauce, radio ads, bbq samples, etc....

But you get to meet lots of wonderful folks and be on radio shows like Rempe's......Priceless
www.bobbeesbottling.com

Thanks for posting these numbers, Tim...I think you took a lot of folks by surprise Tuesday night during the show when you broke the first run costs down for us! :D

Nick Prochilo said:
Tim, if it means anything, your sauce is one of my favorites!

I agree, Swamp Sauce and Reverend Marvins are staples in our house! Two fantastic products from a small business and good people!

First batch run of 150 gallons is a good deal.. many of the larger co-bottlers want runs as high as 450 gallons for the first run

Back
Top Bottom