"Best of the west" charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
Have any of you used this lump charcoal before...
0008539410040_A

Is that from Sam's? I got a 40lb bag of mesquite lump from Sam's one time and it burned hot and fast! Decided not to buy it again.

You go into just about any store that sells charcoal round here and thats the lump they will have. I don't care for it. It sparks like crazy, the pieces are huge or dust and there is a lot of ash. Only good thing is that its real cheap.

Ya it was at sam's. I was curious if it was worth it since the price was decent. I think I will stick with my Royal Oak for now as long as Walmart keeps carrying it.

It's not worth it. Like V9 said, there are a lot of big peices and it pops like crazy. I bought it once, because it was convienent. My Wal-Mart stopped carrying RO. Needless to say, I'm shopping there less and less!

I havent seen this yet, but I keep hearing about Rancher being the end all be all hardwood lump briquette. How do Kingsford competition briquette and stubbs match up? I havent seen stubbs yet, but I think I can get it. I know I can get ahold of kingsford...

Basically-if I use kingsford competition to do minion method...will I be getting a bad taste?

That's just about all I use. I buy several bags at a time. I cut the bag open and break it down to uniform chunks. Then I put it in Rubbermaid containers. It burns twice as long as RO. I don't like the flavor of RO on chicken if you cooken while its still lighting. Mesquite is quite popular out here in our region. It's used in many seafood and Mexican restaurants. It does spark a bit but once you close your lid and start cooken on it, it dies down. I'll add a little at a time when doing long grilling sessions for parties. No issues. You just have to control the oxygen to keep it from popping. Check out picts 9-11 on the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20577

As far as Stubb's there aint nothing better. I use it for comps and long cooks in the UDS. We like it cause it produces a very light and subtle smoke flavor and smells like a nice camp fire. It won't compete with smoke woods. Burns as long and slow as original K. Comp burns to fast and still smells funky. I give Stubb's an A+++. If your Lowe's don't carry it order it online and pick it up. (free shipping to Lowe's)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297978-37442-71 ... s$y=4$x=22

I always enjoy charcoal discussions. I've never ventured out side of the old blue bag, but I will be trying that Stubbs the next time I fire up.

Tri Tip said:
That's just about all I use. I buy several bags at a time. I cut the bag open and break it down to uniform chunks. Then I put it in Rubbermaid containers. It burns twice as long as RO. I don't like the flavor of RO on chicken if you cooken while its still lighting. Mesquite is quite popular out here in our region. It's used in many seafood and Mexican restaurants. It does spark a bit but once you close your lid and start cooken on it, it dies down. I'll add a little at a time when doing long grilling sessions for parties. No issues. You just have to control the oxygen to keep it from popping. Check out picts 9-11 on the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20577

As far as Stubb's there aint nothing better. I use it for comps and long cooks in the UDS. We like it cause it produces a very light and subtle smoke flavor and smells like a nice camp fire. It won't compete with smoke woods. Burns as long and slow as original K. Comp burns to fast and still smells funky. I give Stubb's an A+++. If your Lowe's don't carry it order it online and pick it up. (free shipping to Lowe's)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297978-37442-71 ... s$y=4$x=22

Thanks for the advise and headsup on the Stubbs. I will give that a try.

I'm with Tri-tip and Pigs. I get a 40 lb. bag at Restaurant depot for $9.99. I use it by itself for some cooks and on others, I mix it with the Stubs briquets. Besides, I love the sparks. It reminds me of the 4th of July. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom