Beer and BBQ dinner on saturday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodman3222

Senior Cook
Doing a beer and BBQ tasting today with some family and friends. Cooking 2 butts and one chicken. One butt I covered in mustard and then dry rub and the other with olive oil and dry rub. Going to see which one I like best for a bark. Got some different kinds of pop to try. A little wine, and went to the beer store and got a bunch of micro brews to try. Couple of lagers, then some brown ales, then we move on to porter and stouts’.

ScottyDaQ said:
I doubt you'll find any discernible difference in the bark if the same rub is used...but it'll be interesting to see your results. Let us know.

I am using the same rub on both butts. Chicken has a different rub but I just oiled the chicken no mustard on it. I will try and post some picts. Gets busy cooking and serving. Need someone to take picts. Running solo right now.

Nick Prochilo said:
Looks like you started drinking real early....................the first picture is sideways! :LOL:
I started drinking early and I don't see anything wrong with the first picture. Looks fine to me. :LOL:

You know. They got a Cajun song about that by Travis Matt

"Barbecue and Drink a few,
we got some ice cold beer and chicken to"

"So let your hair hang down and drink a few,
barbeque and drink a few"

BayouChilehead said:
A Beer and BBQ tasting......thats sounds like a fun afternoon/evening. Is this the first time you've done this?

This is the 5th year now for the bbq and beer dinner. I have been doing a beer and food dinner for at least 15 years. It started out with 4 of our wives go shopping every year the Saturday after thanksgiving. 3 of us guys would get together and cook food and drink micro beers. Just try doing different things. No recipes just cooking steaks or pork and adding anything to it that sounded good. 5 years ago I said I would bbq. Having more food yield with butts a couple of people would stop by and eat and drink some of the goods we had. Now it has gotten larger and the wife’s now come back for dinner after shopping. It is a good time by all. The kids enjoyed taste testing the pops. Some people who would only drink an American lager style beer are now drinking porters and stout’s. Just explained to them what to expect in a taste of a beer. Ask people what they like to eat and drink and then bring out a beer that might come close to that taste. Show them how a Ale changes in flavor with the temperature of the beer. I thought it was a good idea but now I end up sharing my good beers. It all works out because they bring beer back to me.

ScottyDaQ said:
I doubt you'll find any discernible difference in the bark if the same rub is used...but it'll be interesting to see your results. Let us know.

The one with the mustard rub was much better. The bark had a better bite to it. I will try doing this again when I do some butts. Not sure if I got more pepper on the one covered with mustard or if the mustard allowed the pepper to stick to the pork butt better. I will let you know next time.

woodman3222 said:
BayouChilehead said:
A Beer and BBQ tasting......thats sounds like a fun afternoon/evening. Is this the first time you've done this?

This is the 5th year now for the bbq and beer dinner. I have been doing a beer and food dinner for at least 15 years. It started out with 4 of our wives go shopping every year the Saturday after thanksgiving. 3 of us guys would get together and cook food and drink micro beers. Just try doing different things. No recipes just cooking steaks or pork and adding anything to it that sounded good. 5 years ago I said I would bbq. Having more food yield with butts a couple of people would stop by and eat and drink some of the goods we had. Now it has gotten larger and the wife’s now come back for dinner after shopping. It is a good time by all. The kids enjoyed taste testing the pops. Some people who would only drink an American lager style beer are now drinking porters and stout’s. Just explained to them what to expect in a taste of a beer. Ask people what they like to eat and drink and then bring out a beer that might come close to that taste. Show them how a Ale changes in flavor with the temperature of the beer. I thought it was a good idea but now I end up sharing my good beers. It all works out because they bring beer back to me.

Nice how a simple idea grows to something everyone can enjoy.....might have to start an idea!!

BayouChilehead said:
woodman3222 said:
BayouChilehead said:

Nice how a simple idea grows to something everyone can enjoy.....might have to start an idea!!

We keep it simple. 2 butts 1 chicken. Did salt potatoes, green beans in a apple cider reduction with onion, mushrooms, toasted almonds. BBQ baked beans smoked in apple wood. The beans are the best I have ever cooked. The only place I may have had better is at the Ridgewood BBQ in Bloutville TN. The most popular beer was a Rouge Hazelnut brown ale. Best pop was by Saranac brewery both there root beer and orange got top reviews. Everyone brings something to the meal. Great way to get rid of thanksgiving leftovers.

It keeps getting bigger but it is a blast.

Back
Top Bottom