Beef Ribs Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I just got back from BJ'S...saw big ass beef ribs there for the first time...so I am going to pick some up for next weekend.

I apologize for re-hashing an old topic but can the beef rib know it all'ers give me some advice on how to cook these...ie time, method and so on?

Thanks!!

Re: Beed Ribs Help

Greg Rempe said:
I just got back from BJ'S...saw big ass beef ribs there for the first time...so I am going to pick some up for next weekend.

I apologize for re-hashing an old topic but can the beef rib know it all'ers give me some advice on how to cook these...ie time, method and so on?

Thanks!!

Cook in the 200º-225º range until tender, approximately 4-5-6 hours depending on how meaty they are. I've tried beef ribs many different ways and this has been by far the best method I'vd done. They don't really need sauce in my opinion, but I have used Reverend Marvins and honey (50/50) with good results. Gary made some a couple years back with Cattlemans Gold and they were quite good!!!

I cooked some last weekend along with spares and babybacks. I threw them on and cooked exactley the same as the spare, 3-2-1, and I thought they were good. I did sauce them with my own sauce but believe it or not, they taste pretty good with a lite coating of a good steak sauce on them. I used Peter Lugers.

Last beef short ribs i made were marinated with a bit of cattlemans overnight in the fridge,then Klose brisket rub on the day of cooking after rinsing and letting sit in cold water or red wine. :? pick one.,cooked at 200+- 10 degres for 6-7 hours,then applied berthelet beef roast sauce with dried wild mushrooms that been rehydrated,yummy.

The membrane is a bitch to get off... but do it.

I like to run em a wee bit hotter... ~ 275-285 till the meat feels like butter with a toothpick. No foil.

I like em sauced, then dried on. Revs or SBR.

Definitely needs WRB.

Yall remember beef ribs are from the ribeye of a cow, so they are tender rare.... just plenty greasy.

Don't cook em to death Boy! 4 0r 5 hours at 250 is fine.
I never sauce foil or marinade em. Call me a purist I like to taste the beef flavor with a lite Wolfe rub.
:idea: You could just use S&P & serve sauce on the side

remove membrane, spray with 2-1 mix of 2 parts worchestershire 1 part soy sauce. dust with Big Ron's Rub, fire up the smoker. 3 hours with charcoal and pecan wood 225-250 or so wrap for 1 hour, then sauce and wrap and pull for one hour in a cooler or wraped in a towel. tender and juicy every time. Good luck

Season them like you're cooking prime rib! Salt pepper, a little garlic, and brown sugar won't hurt anything either! No sauce, please!

I just got them from BJ's today...14lbs in total! Any ideas on time...or 4 hrs should be good at 275* or so... :?: :?:

Greg Rempe said:
I just got them from BJ's today...14lbs in total! Any ideas on time...or 4 hrs should be good at 275* or so... :?: :?:
Watch JB's videos on beef ribs.. ?When the fat quits drippin it's gettin close.. You are going to LOVE them if done correctly.. Greg.. Ohio

Just put them on...DAMN those things are big...um, there was fat on the meat side...I did some trimming...how trim'ified should I have done them?

First attempt at beef ribs...and by all accounts they were GREAT! I was very happy with the way they turned out especially since I haven't done these before.

14 lbs in total...4 half racks...2 were way bigger then the others so they went in foil for about 45 minutes. Did one rack with A-1 glaze and the other 3 naked...WRB for the rub. Went very well with the wine and beer!! For your review...

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="600" height="400" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fgrempe%2Falbumid%2F5243464637260756113%3Fkind%3Dphoto%26alt%3Drss" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

They are whole pieces of bone in beef short ribs. Ask your butcher, they probably have some on hand (whole pieces).

Mike

Greg,

those look real good. I have cooked these about 5 times now and had success twice and two other times I chewed threw them but they were not too good. The other time we needed to order a pizza.

These look fantastic. roughly how long did you cook them for and at what temp?

Tim

Tim,

Cooked for 5 hrs...at 225*-235*...I used the Klose so there were some runs when I added a log but I say that was a good average.

Back
Top Bottom