Beef Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
well I eated em. They were fair...pic when I get home.
they shrunk up a lot...tasted like pot roast on a stick
in some bites, good steaky flavor in others.

Beef ribs don't like foiling too much. The meat is tender to begin with -- it's from the "prime rib," and doesn't need braising techniques. Steady, medium temperature in a reasonably humid cook chamber and cook to well done enough so the meat tears cleanly off the bone. Best test for doneness is with your fingers.

Rich

boar_d_laze said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":4ustm2lm]well I eated em. They were fair...pic when I get home.

Beef ribs don't like foiling too much. The meat is tender to begin with -- it's from the "prime rib," and doesn't need braising techniques. Steady, medium temperature in a reasonably humid cook chamber and cook to well done enough so the meat tears cleanly off the bone. Best test for doneness is with your fingers.

Rich[/quote:4ustm2lm]

Rich is correct, The wine most likely made em pot roast tastin.
I never foil beef ribs, Also its best to by a whole bone in rib rack & trim it
yourself. Butchers cut too much meat from between the bones when cutting of the ribeyes

boar_d_laze said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3f3u9a7c]well I eated em. They were fair...pic when I get home.

Rich[/quote:3f3u9a7c]

Well that's a matter of opinion and taste. The wine/liquid in the foil will certainly give you the "pot roast" tast and texture. However, foiling the beef ribs for an hour or so in my opinion is beneficial in rendering fat and tenderizing the meat. Foiling without the liquid is simply steaming not braising. Either way will work, depends on which one you prefer.

CAPPY ARE YOU MAKING GOURMET BBQ USING RED WINE??? BBQ & RED WINE??? Next thing you know you will be visiting the "Bar" across from Family Kingdom! (inside joke)

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="boar_d_laze":29gdhk7w][quote="Captain Morgan":29gdhk7w]well I eated em. They were fair...pic when I get home.

Rich[/quote:29gdhk7w]

Well that's a matter of opinion and taste. The wine/liquid in the foil will certainly give you the "pot roast" tast and texture. However, foiling the beef ribs for an hour or so in my opinion is beneficial in rendering fat and tenderizing the meat. Foiling without the liquid is simply steaming not braising. Either way will work, depends on which one you prefer.

CAPPY ARE YOU MAKING GOURMET BBQ USING RED WINE??? BBQ & RED WINE??? Next thing you know you will be visiting the "Bar" across from Family Kingdom! (inside joke)[/quote:29gdhk7w]

I Don't have a problem rendering the fat without foil Larry. I do cook em at a higher temp like 275 to 300 range. They come out fall apart tender too. I wonder if this has to do with smoker design

007bond-jb said:
I Don't have a problem rendering the fat without foil Larry. I do cook em at a higher temp like 275 to 300 range. They come out fall apart tender too. I wonder if this has to do with smoker design

I don't think it's the equipment in this case, JB. You get about the same results in a home oven. I don't want to take away from Larry's point that the fat renders off better in foil than in the open, mostly because he's right about that.

It comes down to a couple of things at the end of the day.

First, it's the raw materials; i.e., the ribs you bought. There's a lot of variability in them. Sometimes you get beef ribs that are very fatty and the fat is placed in a way that you can't scrape or cut it off in prep. You can usually spot these fellows by the big pillows of white, fatty tissue on the back of the untrimmed slab, and the greasy feel they leave on your hands during prep. The major clue is visual though. It's pretty obvious once the ribs are about 75% cooked.

Second, it's your general openness to foiling. Personally, I'm generally disinclined for stupid "purity" reasons -- this from an Afterburner guy!

So, if you're open, and you spot big fat deposits about three quarters of the way through the cook, it might not be a bad idea to foil with just a splash of fat cutter (beer, bourbon). I'd avoid wine though, because of it's stewed connotations. Afterwards, I'd definitely give some time unfoiled -- to try and chase some texture back into the meat. Ideally over direct charcoal.

Rich

Rich I read every post you make & really enjoy the content of you lectures. :) I also know yer a prof chef, I would like to thank you for your technical info too. But............ Fooled ya huh :LOL:

No butts, (just kiddin) great job Boy.
I too as know are on the afterburner... works great too, consitant every time. No bull :arrow: 8)

boar_d_laze said:
[quote="007bond-jb":1107uiue]

I don't think it's the equipment in this case, JB. You get about the same results in a home oven. I don't want to take away from Larry's point that the fat renders off better in foil than in the open, mostly because he's right about that.

It comes down to a couple of things at the end of the day.

First, it's the raw materials; i.e., the ribs you bought. There's a lot of variability in them. Sometimes you get beef ribs that are very fatty and the fat is placed in a way that you can't scrape or cut it off in prep. You can usually spot these fellows by the big pillows of white, fatty tissue on the back of the untrimmed slab, and the greasy feel they leave on your hands during prep. The major clue is visual though. It's pretty obvious once the ribs are about 75% cooked. Very well said!!

Second, it's your general openness to foiling. Personally, I'm generally disinclined for stupid "purity" reasons -- this from an Afterburner guy!

LOL! Foil or without foil will certainly work. The main reason I like foil is strictly for consistecy purposes.

So, if you're open, and you spot big fat deposits about three quarters of the way through the cook, it might not be a bad idea to foil with just a splash of fat cutter (beer, bourbon). I'd avoid wine though, because of it's stewed connotations. Afterwards, I'd definitely give some time unfoiled -- to try and chase some texture back into the meat. Ideally over direct charcoal.

Amen Brother!

Rich[/quote:1107uiue]

Puff said:
Smoked, no foil.........like BBs maybe a touch shorter.

You twit! No one said to use foil or not! Get back in your van, turn the motor on and hook up the hose! :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

You twit! No one said to use foil or not! Get back in your van, turn the motor on and hook up the hose! :LOL:
I was saying how I cooked them ass :roll:

Well they look good to me. They sell those here for like 50 cents/lb.. I hope mine come put like Yalls. Jb makes them all the time. I guess my doggies will be happy....GOOD Rib thread man!

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":230vazob]
Puff said:

I was saying how I cooked them ass :roll:

I know you big sensitive dummy! :roll:[/quote:230vazob]
Me and you..big hill :LOL: ;)

Back
Top Bottom